Hoyts-Duke Traverse 2/10/08

Hoyts-Duke Traverse 2/10/08

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

Sunny day, starry night in Western Uintas

A bluebird ski tour with the pooches, 17 miles RT with 4500 ft elevation gain, up Swifts and down S Fk Weber.

Three 10,000er summits - North Hoyt 10,209, Main Hoyt 10,226, and finally the patriarch of Uinta's West Flank, Duke Mountain (which we skirted around 10,500 contour).

Some sections of the route were new to us, and turned out to be very nice. An undulating ridge at the head of Paulsin Basin; a crescent-shaped traverse above the escarpment of South Fork Weber Basin; and descent straight down the middle of Duke's North Slope.

It was headlamp time before we even got to the tricky Narrows and Pit sections of South Fork Weber Canyon - thanks Mike for excellent navigation there in the dark!

Jasmine and Max were truly dog tired by the time we got to the car just shy of 9 pm ... and I am sure Carol fully appreciated this outsize chunk of Everest training in the run-up to her departure to the Himalayas next month! For the rest of us, it certainly counts as a good preparation for Kings Peak Tour 2008.


Comments

No comments posted yet.