Hualapai Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
ericnoel

ericnoel - Apr 21, 2007 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Topozone

Excellent page Scott. You might wish to tweak the lat/lon as the coords are a bit off so the topozone link doesn't point to the peak.

surgent

surgent - Apr 23, 2007 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

They were way off. I'll check my other earlier pages to be sure the topozone coords are still accurate.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 10, 2008 11:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Get the map!

...but take it with a grain of salt.

At the fee booth, they will give you a map that shows a good trail to about 180' (vertical) below the top of Hualapai. You can take a horse up that far! It may be a shabby road, but it's a great trail. There was a large cairn (as of May 10/2008) marking the very obvious, not-too-brushy use trail to the top.

Unfortunately, the route, as drawn in on the map, is not accurate near the top of the mountain. The last switchbacks are on the E to NE side of the peak, not the SE side as indicated, and the last scramble up the use trail is on the E and NE side of the rocky summit, not on the S side as implied by the map. HERE is a better map of the top.

I'm not sure of the proper way to mount the last block -- I took the shortest, most direct approach, and after testing the hold on the granite crack, just muscled up with one hand on a faint nubbin of rock above. This route didn't seem too exposed, but did require that one have decent finger strength. To get down, I just jumped across to the lower rock.

Here is the current (May 10/2008) web site for the Hualapai Mountain Park

surgent

surgent - May 20, 2008 2:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Get the map!

It's pretty much make your own way up once you leave the trail. Depending on the season you may end up going up different ways to avoid brush, etc. Generally, as you found out, at the very top you pretty much have to figure out the last rock slab for yourself. Most usually attack it directly via the 5-foot 'step' and the weak ledge about half-way up. Others have carefully scooted to the left with more exposure where it is apparently easier to gain the rock and the top.

Some even climb the 4th/5th class routes via the S.

surgent

surgent - Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yet another...

I made the edit just now. Thanks for alerting me.

Matt Horbal

Matt Horbal - Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yet another...

The map seems to have moved again. I found it here http://www.mcparks.com/wp-content/themes/mcparks/images/hmp_trails_map_large.pdf

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jun 10, 2018 10:00 am - Hasn't voted

Updated map link

http://www.mcparks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/170525-HMP-Trail-map-web.pdf

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Hualapai Peak' main page