Huffaker

Huffaker

This is the south side of Huffaker Mtn. Admittedly, it isn't the most scenic peak in the galaxy but the little rock bands and steepness on this side are more pleasing to the eye than the forested blob perspective that you get from the Randle side to the north. It actually looks even steeper on the north side based on the map; I missed this feature of the mtn because I was driving and also because the east slopes are quite gentle. A rough estimate looks like it drops 2000 feet in elevation in about half a mile of horizontal distance on the NNW side. I bet no one has ever bothered to climb, er, make that veggie belay themselves up that NNW face. From what I saw everything on that side was completely covered in trees and completely unremarkable visually. It's funny, if a peak had the same contours as Huffaker, ie steep banded rock faces, but was entirely above treeline, it would probably be a highly aesthetic and sought after summit. In fact I can imagine it might even look at home in Glacier NP. But because the mtn remains hidden behind a cloak of trees this is an obscure summit. Of course the lack of trails, numerous roads and adjoining private property don't help matters.
ericnoel
on Jun 3, 2007 8:00 pm
Image Type(s): Bouldering
Image ID: 298474

Comments

No comments posted yet.