Hundred Peaks, 100th Peak, Garnets

Hundred Peaks, 100th Peak, Garnets

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 31, 1969

Little Story

Garnet Peak Summit



In 1993, my friends and I climbed the northeast firebreak of Sunset Peak in the San Gabriel Mountains. I was first to break through the fog reaching the summit where a little old man was sitting on the old foundation of the old lookout tower. I sat with him and he told me and my friends many amazing stories of peakbagging, especially in Southern California. The San Gabriels spread out before us and he detailed how he had climbed every visible point and how many times each. His name was Sam Fink and I only met him that one time but he changed my life.

I learned from him of the Hundred Peaks hiking group of the Sierra Club. I knew right away that I wanted to hike as many peaks as I could. Over the next few years I hiked a lot until my knee blew.

Later in 2004 I rekindled my passion with a ascent of Pine Mountain and Dawson Peak where I ran into Wolf Leverich. Once again I was hiking like crazy.

Recently my hiking life has been reduced to spare moments due to death, work, school, and a stubborn body. But finally on 12-10-2007 I as able to get away and realize a little dream that was given to me by Sam Fink. Leaving at 5 am in the morning I drove to San Diego and into the Laguna Mountains and hiked up Garnet Mountain and Garnet Peak in 6 inches of fresh snow. It was a amazing feeling. I finally used my old ice axe, to dig my Corolla out of the ice at the turnout! Thank you Sam Fink!

Favorite Peaks

Ten Favorite Peaks, not ranked

1. Arctic Point, San Bernardino Mts., amazing views of the Mojave

2. Cornell Peak, San Jacinto Mts., amazing rock and views

3. San Jacinto Peak, San Jacinto Mts., best views in Southern California

4. Lily Rock, San Jacinto Mts., fun rock climb with nice airy summit

5. Pine Mountain, San Gabriel Mts., great wilderness hike

6. Mount Hawkins, San Gabriel Mts., views if Sheep Mountain Wilderness

7. Mount Williamson, San Gabriel Mts., views of Mojave

8. Mount San Antonio, San Gabriel Mts., everything about it awesome

9. Sugarloaf Mountain, San Bernardino Mts., ancient Sierra Junipers

10. Ontario Peak, San Gabriel Mts., views of the Inland Valley

Favorite Memories

A few of my favorite memories while bagging listed summits.

1. Mount San Gorgonio 1993, ran into black bear at sundown, I think he ran away faster then me!

2. Mount San Antonio 1994, meeting R.J. Secor at the Ski Hut, getting caught in a sudden snow storm while on the summit.

3. San Jacinto Peak 1995, hiked from the tram in 2-4 feet of snow, ice blasted summit, warming forzen feet in the hut.

4. Cornell Peak 1993, fell asleep on the tippy top, laying like I was impaled, while waiting for friends to catch up. I use to be bit more daring back then.

5. Pine Mountain & Dawson Peak 2004, one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life.

6. Silver Peak 2005, Bachelor Party hike with brothers.

7. Gobblers Knob 2004, asking David to be my best man.

8. Keller Peak 1994, late as all hell night drive with my bro Kelly, then up early to get Delamar and Onyx.

9. Susnet Peak 1995, naked night hike with brothers, running into a bunch of drunk partyers at the turnout.

10. Sunset Peak 1993, meeting Sam Fink with brothers Alan and Kelly.

External Links

Visit the Hundred Peaks website for more information on this Sierra Club hiking group.

Thanks

I would like to thank my brothers Kelly, David, Alan, and Luke for being very faithful to my hiking impulses, especially Kelly for sharing the dream. I also want to thank my newest best hiking buddy Janell! She rocks! I want give thanks to Sam's bestfriend Lynda for reminding that sometimes you just can't hike, so wait it out and be faithful!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 13, 2007 7:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Should be a Feature

Ryan,

Beautiful story. Hearing about motivational events in others' lives is a pick-me-up. Although brief, this is worthy of a feature page trip report. You have a beautiful primary image with that axe on the summit. Maybe just rename it a TR? I throw that out because it would undoubtedly get more attention than in the albums section. The expression of your sentiments deserves a wider reading.

Best to you,
Augie

theronmoon

theronmoon - Dec 13, 2007 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Should be a Feature

Thanks for the comments! I was thinking of changing it, just a bit lazy. I would like to add some more to the experience, espcially favorite mountains, moments, and not so favorite. Check back it a bit. thanks again, ryan

Travis_

Travis_ - Dec 14, 2007 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

nice write-up

I also have a goal of 100 HPS peaks, I am hoping to get my 100th before the end of the year, but I need to get hiking. I think I am at 88 or something.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Dec 14, 2007 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice write-up

Keep up the pace. I could have finished almost two years ago, but life gets in the way sometimes. Also I found it hard to keep to HPS peaks, I get inspired to hike so many peaks that aren't on that list. Also I always find new favorites and want to do repeat hikes. One day I'll do another hundred but first there are a couple of other golas I want to reach. Have fun and thanks for checking out the page.

Dean

Dean - Dec 16, 2007 4:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Lists are great

If I lived down there (grew up in the San Fernando Valley), I would definitely be interested in the HPS peaks as I am one who loves to have goals and lists help keep me motivated. I discovered county highpoints and prominence peaks to keep my passion fueled and this is why I enjoyed your report so much, I see in you a kindred spirit. BTW, the pic with the ice axe is stellar.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Dec 16, 2007 5:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lists are great

Thanks Dean , that means a lot to me. I envy all the work you have done, especially on the prominence lists. The funny thing with that picture is I couldn't view my shot screen, so I was just hoping it would look right. On to other lists, I won't be finishing HPS for awhile and besides there are so many other great lists out there. I think I have ADD when it comes to peakbagging.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Garnet MountainTrip Reports