Hunters of Ghosts: Tour to Saint Germain Montjovet Castle

Hunters of Ghosts: Tour to Saint Germain Montjovet Castle

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Phantoms to the Overview towards Spectres

All pictures of this article are by Corvus & Osw

CHALLANT's SPECTERS & the MAGNIFICENT ISABELLA
Montjovet is a Municipality of the middle-low Valle d'Aosta, located at 385 meters above sea level and a hundred from the underneath River Dora Baltea course..

It is 38,3 km from the town of Ivrea (Province of Turin) and 32 from that of Aosta (located to the west); It is inhabited by 2,000 scarce people, provided that the Ghosts do not count even they. In 1964 there were 1368 and were scattered among the 9 fractions from which it is composed. Barmachande, Champérioux, Chenal, Ciseran, Devia, Petit Monde, Plout and the "modern" Palazzo; And the ninth? Uhm, it is hidden up there where there is the old Romanesque Church with the XII Century Campanile. Overlooking the cemetery hanging on the rocky abysses and is in turn overwhelmed by a dreary Castle. In ruins. Closed with a locked iron locked by a padlock, while a sign warns you not to get in because it's dangerous. But it's not true. Indeed it is true, but not because its walls and towers fall, but because it is inhabited by the Ghosts. However remember that it is absolutely forbidden to cross the fences to enter. While at Noon precipitates with rocky jumps over the valley floor, where the Dora flows smoothly. In the middle, also dangerously suspended, passes the road known as the "Monjovetta", while down the highway rides as a mustang the River, where, coming from the opposite rocky opposite, discharge the water pipes. Everything is wild, while in the distance to the Northwest, Mount Zerbion (2720m) dominates, with its grimy & greysh landslide sneaking over haggling into the forest, the Saint Vincent City relaxing quietly and unaware of any danger. Otherwise it is the "Riviera of the Alps". Below, I break the bikes and their noise disturbs this great quiet that goes up to the mountain of Emarese, where another white church shines. But once it was not. There was no fence from the fountain leading to the West side of the castle and to climb it had to climb along a small alley that with some zigzag hairpin led to the same. From there, the village, the church, the cemetery and the valley dominate itself above all and in full. Everything is all over and if you wanted to pass, you had to pay the duty. Otherwise, you would return to Piedmont, or to Aosta, Savoie, and Switzerland. Obligatory: those who did not pay did not pass. They had not yet invented Tourism. But who were these "bandits", maybe the Salassian People? No, the Celts who practiced the Druids Rite did not do that. And then they had disappeared for about a millennium, while the Noble Challant Family was dominate here. It was all legalized: if you did not pay you cut off your head. But in a legal way. That is why at Mongiove of Tourists have always seen a little few. If they were able to pass it, they legged it down to Bard's Fortress, where another small painful surprise was waiting for them. As in Napoleon in May of 1800. Those of Montjovet made him go with his army, because they knew that at Hone Bard, the Austrians and Piedmontese would have stopped him. For 20 days. Ohhh, but we're running too far in Time and instead we have to go back to 1200 and, after the fifth tunnel, on the "Goat's Bridge" to reach with the ancient road passing through Chenal Village, what's left there Up, of the old Chenal Castle. There was a very beautiful girl, Isabella, the last heir of the Chenal, who in 1295 went to wife at Challant's Ibleto. The Most Powerful Family in the Valley of Aosta, which brought together 15 Feuds underneath. It came from the Visconte Bosone of Challant, which was arrived here around the year 1100. But when he administered Justice, he was representing Count Umberto II of the House Savoy. Then Ebalo the Great and Aymone open the way to Ibleto, surely the most famous to pass to his son Francesco, who, after having created Margherita and Catherine, died before his father until in 1410 where even Ibleto disappeared. Many other Challants died until Giacomo in 1459, and in 1557, following the marriage of another Isabella of Challant, Renato's second son, with Prince Gian Federico Madruzzo, became Barons of Aymavilles. But was it another Isabella or was the Spirit of the first that coming back? No one can say it. He is suspected, down in the country, but then everyone is silent. Certainly it is known that the Castle was built by Count Faydinus of Chenal, on the order of the Marquis of Ivrea in the Xth Century. Duke Amedeo VIIIth of Savoy, since the Castle was owned by them from 1190 to 1274, he transformed it into a robust Fortress, inserting in the same a garrison until 1661. Without ever returning to the primates and true owners, namely to the Chenal. The last of them died in 1295 and the only heir, the beautiful Isabella, marrying Ibleto saw him "escape" from her to this Family. They tell her that her Spirit moves between the ever more and more decreasing and unstable walls. Like a Phantom who wants revenge for the wrong thing right away. Shaking everything to the ground, including towers and turrets. If you go to visit him, stop at the gate, take some photos and go down quickly to the fresh fountain and Church of Saint Germain. Do not turn around the head and your eyes and instead look far to the valley that opens. The basics posts will explain you almost everything ...

ROMAN MONS JOVIS & SAINT GERMAIN CHURCH

Montjovet é un Comune della medio-bassa Valle di Aosta, collocato a 385 metri di altezza sul livello del mare e ad un centinaio dal corso del Fiume Dora Baltea. Dista 38,3 Km dalla Città di Ivrea (Provincia di Torino) e 32 da quella di Aosta (posta ad Occidente); é abitato da 2000 abitanti scarsi, sempre che non si contino i Fantasmi. Nel 1964 erano 1368 ed erano sparpagliati tra le 9 frazioni dalle quali é composto. Barmachande, Champérioux, Chenal, Ciseran, Devia, Petit Monde, Plout e quella "moderna" di Palazzo; e la nona? Uhm, é nascosta lassù in alto dove esiste la vecchia Chiesa romanica con Campanile del XII° Secolo. Che sovrasta il cimitero sospeso sugli abissi rocciosi ed é a sua volta sovrastata da un lugubre Castello. In rovina. Chiuso con una ferrea cancellata bloccata da un lucchetto, mentre un cartello avvisa di non entrare perché é pericolante. Ma non é vero. Anzi si é vero, ma non perché vi cadono le sue mura e le torri in testa, ma perché é abitato dai Fantasmi. Comunque ricordatevi che é assolutamente vietato scavalcare le recinzioni per entrare. Mentre a Mezzogiorno precipita con salti rocciosi sopra il fondovalle, dove sinuosa scorre la Dora. In mezzo, anche lei pericolosamente sospesa, passa la strada conosciuta come la "Monjovetta", mentre più in basso l'Autostrada cavalca siccome mustang il Fiume, nel quale, arrivando dal roccioso fronte opposto, si scaricano le condotte dell'acqua. Tutto é selvaggio, mentre in lontananza a Nordovest il Monte Zerbion (2720 m) domina, con la sua frana grigiastra che serpeggia sopra incuneandosi nella foresta, la Cittadina di Saint Vincent estendentesi tranquilla ed ignara di ogni pericolo. Daltronde é la "Riviera delle Alpi". Di sotto, rombano le moto ed il loro rumore disturba questa grande quiete che più in alto si dirige verso la montagna di Emarese, dove risplende un'altra bianca chiesetta. Ma una volta non era così. Non esisteva la staccionata che dalla fontana conduce sul lato Occidentale al Castello e per salire bisognava inerpicarsi lungo un piccolo viottolo che con qualche tornante a zig zag conduceva al medesimo. Da lì si domina il villaggio, la chiesa, il cimitero e la valle. Si domina tutto e se una volta volevi transitare dovevi pagare il dazio. Altrimenti tornavi in Piemonte, oppure ad Aosta, in Savoia ed in Isvizzera. Obbligatoriamente: chi non pagava, non passava. Non avevano ancora inventato il Turismo. Ma chi erano questi "banditi", forse i Salassi? No i Celti che praticavano il Rito dei Druidi queste cose non le facevano. E poi erano scomparsi da circa un Millennio, mentre qui dominava la Nobile Famiglia dei Challant. Era tutto legalizzato: se non pagavi ti tagliavano la testa. Ma in modo legale. Per questo motivo a Mongiove di Turisti se ne sono visti sempre pochini. Se riuscivano a passare se la davano a gambe correndo giù verso la Fortezza di Bard, dove li aspettava un'altra sorpresina. Siccome per Napoleone nel Maggio del 1800. Quelli di Montjovet lo hanno fatto passare con la sua Armata, perché tanto sapevano che ad Hone Bard Austriaci e Piemontesi lo avrebbero stoppato. Per 20 giorni. Ohhh, ma stiamo correndo troppo avanti nel Tempo ed invece dobbiamo ritornare al 1200 e, passando, dopo la quinta galleria, sul "Ponte delle Capre" raggiungere tramite l'antica strada, che passava attraverso il Villaggio di Chenal, quel che rimane, là in alto, del vecchio Castello dei Chenal. Lì abitava una bellissima fanciulla, Isabella, l'ultima erede dei Chenal, che nel 1295 andò in sposa ad Ibleto di Challant. La Famiglia più potente della Valle di Aosta, che riuniva, sotto di sé, 15 Feudi. Proveniva dal Visconte Bosone di Challant, che era qui giunto intorno all'anno 1100. Ma quando amministrava la Giustizia lo faceva rappresentando il Conte Umberto II° di Casa Savoia. Poi Ebalo il Grande ed Aymone aprono la strada ad Ibleto, sicuramente il più famoso per passare al figlio Francesco che, dopo aver generato Margherita e Caterina, morì prima del padre, finché nel 1410 scomparve anche Ibleto. Molti altri Challant morirono fino a Giacomo nel 1459, mentre nel 1557, a seguito delle nozze di un altra Isabella di Challant, secondogenita di Renato, con il Principe Gian Federico Madruzzo, diventarono Baroni di Aymavilles. Ma era un'altra Isabella od era lo Spirito della prima che ritornava? Nessuno lo può dire. Si sospetta, giù in paese, ma poi tutti tacciono. Di certo si sà che il Castello era stato costruito dal Conte Faydinus di Chenal, su ordine dei Marchesi di Ivrea nel X° Secolo. Il Duca Amedeo VIII° di Savoia, essendo che il Castello era di loro proprietà già dal 1190 al 1274, lo trasformò in una robusta Fortezza inserendovi una guarnigione insino al 1661. Senza mai ritornare ai primigeni e veri proprietari, cioé i Chenal. L'ultimo di loro morì nel 1295 e l'unica erede, la splendida Isabella, sposando Ibleto lo vide "sfuggire" dalla sua a quest'altra Famiglia. Raccontano che il suo Spirito si aggiri tra le mura di cinta sempre più decrepite ed instabili. Come un Fantasma che vuole vendicarsi del torto subito. Radendo tutto al suolo, compreso torri e torrette. Se andate a visitarlo, per carità, fermatevi al cancello, tirate foto e scendete rapidamente verso la fresca fontana e la Chiesa di Saint Germain. Soprattutto non voltatevi e guardate lontano verso la valle che si apre. Panneaux e cartelli alla base vi spiegheranno quasi tutto ...



Comments

No comments posted yet.