I tried to scramble up the...

I tried to scramble up the...

I tried to scramble up the backside of Pyramid Rock but at this point I was postholing to my hips so I said screw it and took a picture from where I stopped.
Brian Jenkins
on Nov 22, 2003 8:31 pm
Image ID: 33803

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
rpc

rpc - Nov 22, 2003 11:32 pm - Voted 10/10

yeap, there's plenty of snow...

Hey Brian,

looks like you were climbing Silver Star today while we were hiking up Rooster Rock (one off of US20). We hit patchy snow right at the Rooster Rock Trail start - 1300 feet!!! There was about a foot of snow at the summit (3600 feet). I'd still prefer a dry piece of rock on a sunny day no matter how fluffy the white stuff!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Radek



PS nice shots - did you make the Silver Star summit this time?

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 23, 2003 11:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: yeap, there's plenty of snow...

Didn't summit. Got too late of a start and it was slow-going with probably a foot or two of powdery snow. (left the snowshoes at home too) Made it only about 2/3 of the way this time. Tried to scramble up the back side of Pyramid Rock on the way back though but was hip deep in snow just a few feet off the trail. Oh well, was nice to get out. Weathermen really screwed up on telling us which day was going to be nice the weekend, eh?

rpc

rpc - Nov 24, 2003 11:57 am - Voted 10/10

Re: yeap, there's plenty of snow...

Yeah, I don't buy their bs very much these days (at best it's usually to within "give or take a day" making it useless for weekend planning when the whole window is a day long). It is nice just to get outside though. We hit Rooster Rock and that other coastal one...neakhani mtn (sp???). The latter was a very short hike but we were lazy all weekend so it worked out ok.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 24, 2003 2:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: yeap, there's plenty of snow...

Cool, at least you guys got out. Saw your photos from Rooster, very cool. I remember trying to convince my friend we should camp up top but without the nice snow, it's a small rocky point mostly. And on Neahkahnie, I was driving by one time and decided at sunset to hike it. Plodded down the trail after dark without a headlamp. I must've looked like a goof.



Have a great Thanksgiving. Hope to see you guys soon.

Brian

jtschanz

jtschanz - Nov 24, 2003 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: yeap, there's plenty of snow...

Funny - Haydar and I were thinking we screwed up on Sat by going north instead of south. From all the pictures I've seen - it wasn't clear *anywhere* on Sat!



Maybe his conspiracy theory about weathermen and ski resorts is right ...!



-Jim

Viewing: 1-5 of 5