Iceberg Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Jim_The_Kid7

Jim_The_Kid7 - Oct 19, 2022 4:15 pm Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2022

Via the notch  Sucess!

Started with Shangri-La, then climbed up Iceberg Notch and on to the Iceberg peak. Descended Ahern pass down to the loop. Was an amazing day and the notch is a pretty fun climb.

Kyle Van Vleet

Kyle Van Vleet - Oct 8, 2022 9:05 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2022

Iceberg   Sucess!

Solo day. Up iceberg notch then to Iceberg Peak. Followed the ridge to South Iceberg and then dropped into North Swiftcurrent glacier basin and traversed around the northeast face of Swiftcurrent Mtn to regain trail and grind back to the vehicle. Great day :)

ToTheHeights

ToTheHeights - Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2017

Iceberg-Ahern Day!  Sucess!

8/1/17 w/Ryan Stadheim

Via Iceberg Notch and Ahern Peak
EPIC day and super fun route

keegsieb

keegsieb - Feb 22, 2016 2:19 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2015

Great Day!  Sucess!

Climbed with Glacier Mountaineering Society, Started at Loop. Ahern Drift was severely depleted, no issues. Summited Iceberg, then South Iceberg and dropped back down to Highline Trail using the Climb Glacier National Park route. This was the day the Reynolds Creek Fire started, and we saw it over the ridge later in the day. At the time, we had no idea what it was, but we knew it wasn't good.

distressbark

distressbark - Aug 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: Iceberg Peak via Ptarmigan Wall Goat Trail

I agree, not wise to poach backcountry sites in the park. It's quite easy to obtain undesignated sites by utilizing the proper channels. Well worth the $5.

andrew david

andrew david - Feb 16, 2013 4:37 pm Date Climbed: Sep 8, 2012

Actually Disappointed  Sucess!

This was my second to last mountain climbed in 2012 (number 47) and I had some ice and slide problems. I was running on fumes too. Also trying to find the right damn peak took time as I was coming from the ridge from Iceberg Notch and kept thinking the next huge pinnacle was the real one, only to find I was hundreds of feet too low. View is fine, but I prefer the angle of Iceberg Lake and Iceberg Peak across the way from Shangri La. If you can find that little garden spot early in summer, do it for sure. This one is worthy, but not the best in the park. Iceberg Notch is shockingly a cakewalk, though it looks deadly in pictures. If you have ever gone up a mountain, yes you can climb it. I'd recommend combining Shangri La with Iceberg Notch for an incredible and exhausting day with a pack and camp anywhere you can find without getting written up or doing harm.

DrewWilkerson

DrewWilkerson - Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm

The loop  Sucess!

Climbed from the highline trail just past the ahem drift. Gotta try the notch next time.

distressbark

distressbark - Sep 4, 2012 11:45 am Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2012

Iceberg Notch/North Swiftcurrent Glacier Basin  Sucess!

Climbed up Iceberg Notch, made the slog around the west slope of the mountain from there. Followed a goat trail to beneath South Iceberg Peak, upon where we climbed up and on top of the Divide before making our way down to the lower portion of North Swiftcurrent Glacier Basin. The game trail that leads to the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail is absolutely unbelievable. One of the best routes I've had the pleasure of experiencing in all of Glacier Park.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Aug 1, 2012 12:47 am Date Climbed: Jul 31, 2012

GNP Peak #70  Sucess!

Another Glacier classic! Climbed with Jake Bramante (Hike734.com) and Tim Johnson via the Highline from the Loop. We then traversed to South Iceberg and then traversed to the HIghline Trail after some tricky maneuvering above North Swiftcurrent Glacier Basin.

larch32

larch32 - Mar 5, 2012 11:28 pm

Iceberg Peak  Sucess!

Shangri La, Iceberg Notch, Iceberg Peak, Swiftcurrent Pass

RoryKuykendall

RoryKuykendall - Sep 24, 2011 3:27 am Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2011

Via Iceberg Notch  Sucess!

Climbed solo via Iceberg Notch. The traverse from the notch, followed by the scree slog to the summit was tougher than I expected it to be. Was planning on returning via the Highline trail and Swiftcurrent pass, but I ended up having to take a full hour to traverse around the Ahern drift on my way to Granite Park. I was running out of water and daylight, so I ended up bailing down to the loop, hitchhiking to Lake MacDonald, and sleeping on a friend's floor. Gotta love it.

pyerger

pyerger - Jul 28, 2009 4:12 pm

iceberg  Sucess!

Climbed from the notch. G.M.S. climb.

bfrench

bfrench - Apr 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Iceberg Peak  Sucess!

Climbed with CL and AL via iceberg notch.

jimegan

jimegan - Jul 14, 2008 11:54 am Date Climbed: Aug 24, 1995

Iceberg Peak  Sucess!

8/24/95 Climbed with "little brother" Jamie from the Loop to highline to ridgetop N of Swiftcurrent Mtn

Also:
9/2/99 with a three OTHG members on a cold, icy day from the Loop
7/31/13 solo from the Loop

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Iceberg Peak' main page