In memory of Andrea (my perfect partner)

In memory of Andrea (my perfect partner)

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Toprope, Ice Climbing, Scrambling

The beginning

 

Imbabura Camp site.

Andrea at Camping site a day prior our successful climb of Imbabura's West Face. (Mar.13.2000).

Our long friendship started suddenly and unexpectedly when Andrea and I used to work at a six story building in downtown Quito. Her job as a lawyer's assistant and mine trying to complete my full-time internship in an economist consultant's office plus our university studies didn’t leave us enough free time to enjoy of those climbs that we climbers like.

Even though our job places were located very close to one another we never had the chance to meet for a couple of years.

October 7th, 1999. Smoke in the building and a forced evacuation led us to meet each other right before dusk. We just called it a day. But it didn’t end up there. We left our jobs earlier and started heading home. An unforgettable day, Guagua Pichincha, Quito's nearby volcano started its eruptive period after centuries of low volcanic activity. Its eruption covered the whole city with grey ash and turned day into night all of the sudden. Finding a ride home was out of the question. The city looked gloomy, like a ghost town or like an abandoned place after war. So we walked for hours.

That’s how Andrea and I met. Our talks during our long walk home were based mostly on our nine to five jobs, family, studies and of course outdoor stuff. We matched so well that it was easy to make climbing plans despite our busy schedules.

Living the freedom

Day after day, our meeting point was the building’s hall where we used to talk for hours, sharing our adventures and dreams. After work, we started frequenting the rocky walls of “El Rockodromo” until very late at night; the castle shaped climbing walls in Quito, our city. Little by little our paths joined, taking us to the highlands and to the high summits. We discovered new lands, met new people and friends.

 

Chimborazo grave yard

Andrea in Chimborazo (6,310 m / 20,702 ft)

We kept enjoying countless adventures, hikes and climbs. We get along so easily that we really followed through our climbing plans.

Andrea and I enjoyed any kind of outdoor activities and even those long waits while hitch hiking through our small country, standing at the roadside hoping to catch a ride to some place.

Our outdoor adventures continued. Our climbs were endless, one after another. There wasn’t anything better in the world for her than staring at the starlit sky after a long day's approaching from the camp site at night, searching for shooting stars or remote planets. Taking the lead on the trips was something she really enjoyed and performed well. Tough and decisive, nothing could stop her. She never gave up.

She loved and lived that freedom. She found peace and joy, the meaning of her life. It was meant to be, we thought, until we split our paths again (not our friendship) for personal and family reasons that arose later on and led her to resign to her dreams for a while (??). There was no future in climbing; it was time to settle down.

Reunited

We kept in touch despite the distance. And after finding the chance to set her outdoor goals into the right path, Andrea and I finally reunited again and started planning more outings. All our plans and dreams took color again. Our plans were perfect, but they were just plans. It was too late.  

With Andrea in Cotopaxi.

Andrea and I.

Last days

A month later I got a text from her brother David while riding my bike northbound in Ecuador, it was shocking!. I lost my best friend and my life and adventures partner and at the same time my will. I lost it all!.It just dragged me to the ground. I couldn’t believe it. We just made plans the day before and now she was gone.

Andrea died during the night, she was 29 years old. Her life full of energy and illusions faded away in a hospital’s room in Quito. It all seemed so unfair to me. I couldn’t even say bye to her. I couldn’t believe it was happening. Her bright look and the illusions that created her world was all I had in my mind at that moment from the day before.

Andrea

Andrea was an amazing person, full of joy, enthusiasm and love for adventures, always willing to give her true love and unwavering support to me as her boyfriend as well as to others. I feel blessed for have been part of her life and to share a small part of mine with her as well. Now and then, even though she’s not with us anymore, I still feel as though she is watching over me often, as I climb. Her memories and her presence are all over those mountains, summits, trails and places we were at, but especially in the minds and hearts of all of us who got the chance to share those unforgettable moments with her.

+ Andrea (Aug.30.1977 – Mar.29.2007)

*** March. 29. 2022: Fifteen long years have passed since you left us. There are times when I miss your presence so bad. Wish you were here with me enjoying these moments together. I still miss you (everyday) Andrea... Boriss.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 20
SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Dec 25, 2010 9:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Heartfelt story

I felt so sad reading your story and your loss. It must have taken a lot of courage to write about it and to share with others. I assume it was an accident. Be strong and keep climbing. That way you will always be close to her. Thanks so much.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 25, 2010 9:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Heartfelt story

Despite my english, it wasn't easy to write about her. I actually wanted to remember her and to let others know what an amazing person she was.
Those hard times already passed, but there are still times when I can't accept she is gone. She left but stayed with me at the same time, especially while climbing.

Thanks for reading my story and for the nice comment.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Dec 26, 2010 5:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry for your Loss

So sorry for your loss Boriss. Carry your fond memories through your life and remember those great carefree times. Thank you for sharing with us.

Take care buddy.

S

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 26, 2010 11:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry for your Loss

Thank you so much Steve. I always remember those countless great moments with a smile.

silversummit

silversummit - Dec 26, 2010 7:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Very sorry to hear this

Your memories of Andrea are obviously a mixed blessing but they will also help you go on and enjoy life for both of you. Here's to remembering those who have gone on before us as 2010 comes to a close.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 26, 2010 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very sorry to hear this

Sometimes while climbing, I think she'd be so happy to see me doing what I do and what we loved to do together. I enjoy my climbs and life for both of us.

Thanks for your comment.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Dec 27, 2010 4:27 am - Voted 10/10

Boris

Just like everyone else i felt so sad reading those words...
Recently i posted an article about my life and my mother and how i lost her and it was just as hard it was for you to write this one i guess, maybe a little bit harder...but that doesn't matter...a loss is a loss.
Glad you shared with us and glad i read it as the first reading after comming back from 7 days in Argentina and Uruguai.
Even better, one week from now i'll be there in Ecu for some climbings.
Enjoy life man, grab on the good memories and that's important, most of all. Andrea is gone but not really gone, she's as much alive in your mind!
Best wishes, and happy new year!
Paulo

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 27, 2010 7:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Boris

Thank you Paulo, I appreciate your comment and best wishes.

It's not my intention to make people sad by reading my story, even though it's a sad one and it really was for me at that time.

Today, what it only remains in my mind and heart are those great moments spent with her which bring joy to my life, and sometimes even a smile.

As you said, grab on the good memories. It really is the most important thing after a loved one is gone, and I did that :).

Thank you for reading my story. Best wishes and "Feliz ano novo" to you too Paulo. Maybe we'll meet on the road!.

Boriss...

andre hangaard

andre hangaard - Dec 29, 2010 3:29 am - Voted 10/10

Truly sorry

to read your story Boriss. She must have been a great person and she ment a lot to you. You've been lucky you got to know her. Take care. André

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 29, 2010 8:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Truly sorry

Yes, she was a great person and my very best friend too. I really feel lucky I got to know her. Thank you for the comment Andre!

Diggler

Diggler - Jan 11, 2011 11:59 am - Voted 10/10

my condolences

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Bonds between climbing partners can be very strong (you've got each others' lives in your hands), & repeat trips are a sign that they are good friends as well. Loss in life is inevitable & difficult, but those memories & experiences are what make life beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jan 11, 2011 11:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: my condolences

Thanks Diggler. I appreciate the comment. As you said, those memories and experiences are what make life beautiful. I've gotten those nice memories and experiences from good friends and nice people who had shared great outdoor moments with me.

albanberg

albanberg - Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry,

for your loss. Best wishes to you!

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jan 12, 2011 12:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry,

Thanks so much albanberg, Best wishes to you too.

Boriss...

Lolli

Lolli - Jan 16, 2011 11:00 am - Voted 10/10

My condolences

Very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks.

Thanks Lolli. It was painful then, but life goes on and mountains still keep the best memories.

TimB

TimB - Jan 18, 2011 4:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Boriss

A very touching story. I am sorry for your loss;yet I am glad you were blessed with such a friend.

Best regards,
Tim

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Boris

Thank you Tim. Yes being her friend and to share those nice moments was a blessing. I appreciate your comment. Take care

Boriss...

markhallam

markhallam - Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry for your loss Boriss

What a terrible tragedy at the age of just 29 - so sorry for your loss.
Best wishes, Mark

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jan 19, 2011 7:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry for your loss Boriss

It was sad Mark. But now, what it only remains are the good times and memories. Thanks so much for the comment!

Boriss...

Viewing: 1-20 of 20