Inner Basin Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.33002°N / 111.67059°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hiking-Summer/Mod Snow-Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Once in Flagstaff you will want to take highway 89 towards Page, Arizona.  After about 20 minutes out of town there will be a sign that says sunset crater on the right, instead turn left crossing the highway and follow the signs to lockett meadow.  The road begins as a maintained dirt road until the turn off for Lockett Meadow then continues as a narrower dirt Road.  This Road is closed periodically for maintenance so check with the Peaks Ranger District before heading up there.  The road is also closed after the first significant snowfall of the year and won't open until mid-May.

Route Description


Start at Lockett Meadow trailhead and hike 1.5 miles passing the Flagstaff Spring. A half mile past Flagstaff Spring you will enter into a meadow and there will be a pump station for the Flagstaff spring on your right as well as a place to sit in a small wooden shelter. From there continure to hike toward Fremont peak (the one dead ahead on the trail).  Usually snow sticks around this area until late May or Mid-June depending on the snowfall for the given year.  If you're here in the summer it is fairly easy to follow the trail which leads up to the saddle between Fremont and Agassiz.  Once at the saddle you are in a good position to either climb Agassiz (peak to the Northwest-only legally climbable when snow-covered) or Fremont (Peak to the East).  Both Peaks are accessible by ridge lines and vary in slope up to ~30 degrees.  Humphrey peak is also accessible from this location via the Weatherford Trail and continues north (follow trail signs). Also during winter and spring time months when covered by snow via traversing the eastern face of Agassiz to gain the saddle between Humphrey's Peak and Agassiz Peak.  Once there continue by navigating the ridgeline to the summit of Humphreys Peak.

Essential Gear


Crampons(not likely), snow shoes, or hiking boots depending on time of year and current conditions.  Tele skis are also great in the winter here.  Yak tracks may useful during spring time when snow becomes hard packed and icy in spots. During winter make sure to bring a probe, shovel, and beacon as well as your Winter Backcountry Access Permit from the Peaks Ranger Station on Highway 89.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.