Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 16, 2010
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Fall
To Mr. Jim Wise and Mr. Stephen Wilfong, congratulations on your first desert tower, and thanks for coming out, the weekend wouldn't have been anywhere near as memorable without you two.

Out of the SlotJim, Out of the Slot


Steve, Elephant Butte SummitSteve, Elephant Butte Summit


Ah….fall is here! That can only mean one thing, it’s time to head west into my favorite playground, Utah. This trip’s been my tentative agenda since early August when Aaron Johnson announced a Fall SP Gathering in Arches over the weekend of October 16-17. Sounds like a good enough excuse to pay a visit. Who’s in, and what are we going to climb?

Last November, Mike and I meandered over to the base of Off-Balance Rock. He graciously humored me while I got a through butt-kicking squirming up ~20 feet and sheepishly retreating. This time, with another year of training in the books, things are going to be different. Aaron knows nothing about this tower, but is willing to plow ahead regardless. Steve, Jim and Mike are all interested in seeing what’s going on up there. All of a sudden we have a solid group of five to work out any dilemmas. Let the festivities begin!

Saturday morning starts slowly as Friday night’s campfire social burned deep into the night. We don’t arrive in Arches into well after 9:30. While waiting at the visitors center, Aaron spies a Mini-Mexican Hat close to the parking lot and wanders off. Seeing him on the formation draws me over to check out this small beauty. I’ve just pulled the overhang when my phone rings with Steve wondering who let the two of us wander off without adult supervision. Long story short, let’s just say lowering yourself into midair while trusting worn tennis shoes to smear on sandstone isn’t the most comfortable feeling.

The drive through Arches is unbelievable, as normal, and we’re at the Balanced Rock parking lot ~10:30am, focused on the task at hand. Eager to get started, I throw on two ropes and my climbing pack, and head for the far side of Off-Balance Rock, away from the throngs of people in this popular area.

Approaching Off-BalanceApproaching Off-Balance


The solitude on the tower’s north side is welcomed and I spend several moments alone flaking ropes and gearing up until the guys show up. The group’s collective nervous energy is noticeable with the daunting route towering over us, yet everyone is ready to see how they do on the heights.

Route PreviewRoute Preview


When Aaron’s ready, I start working on the crack through the lower section of the tower. I slowly make my way skyward, sewing things up and figuring out the challenges as they present themselves. In places I get stuck and frustrated, but my mind stays calm and I’m able to piece this puzzle together.

Setting OffSetting Off


At the top of the crack, a wide ledge offers escape to my right. This position isn’t as easy as I thought from the ground and I fumble around a bit getting my body facing the proper direction before scooting across towards a wider chimney.

This second, wider chimney proves to be easier than the lower section for me. The extra space between the rocks makes climbing less stressful although pro opportunities are rapidly becoming scarcer, but show up exactly when they’re needed. The final obstacle below the belay station proves to be the crux of the pitch as a 5.7 bulge puts an end to the easier travel of the last 30 feet.

To the White Band!Where Does the #5 Go?


A few interesting smears and a lovely hold on the left wall get me through this section which would have been much simpler if the birds hadn’t have used this area for their personal outhouse! With this crappy situation behind me, I take dead aim at the chains and climb up onto a luxurious shelf halfway up Off-Balance. The blackness of P2 intrigues me, but I have to get the guys up here first.

On toprope, Steve and Aaron make short work of the pitch, and I offer Aaron the lead on P2.

You Ready For This?Conference Call


He starts into the darkness while I belay Jim up. Aaron’s grunts from the tunnel behind me aren’t encouraging, but I have to focus on Jim’s needs for the moment. When he reaches the belay, Mike decides things might be going too slowly to meet up with the SP group for the sunset hike out to Delicate Arch and passes on the climb. Down a partner, we toss one now unneeded rope to the ground and turn to the upper pitch. Things are about to get wild!

With frustration of not knowing where to go lining his voice, Aaron calls me into the slot to help work things out. Jim puts me back on-belay and I pop over the tricky bulge before disappearing into the darkness. With unadjusted eyes, I have problems seeing Aaron despite being less than 15 feet away. The tightness of this slot is immediately apparent as I’m forced to scoot up and down a foot or so here and there to make progress. One spot is so tight I have to take my helmet off to squeeze past. The others avoid this dilemma by crawling through a wider part at one’s knees. Once adjusted to the tunnel, I tell Aaron that Radek’s instructions on SP say to go all the way to the back of the crack before heading up. Without knowing it at the time, I was wrong and this error would cost us a good hour or two.

Upon arriving at the back of the slot, Aaron and I decide that the chimney above us is climbable and holler back to our teammates to come up. Knowing that the summit is less than 100’ away, Steve and Jim discard another unnecessary rope before joining our position.

With renewed energy that we’re headed in the right direction, Aaron starts up the chimney towards the faint light.

Aaron Starts False P2Aaron Starts False P2


His progress is smooth, but this pitch is horrible on me as a belayer because the curves in the slot block him from view most of the time and when he’s visible, I am forced to cover my eyes from a constant stream of sand and dirt. Right about the time I’m convinced we are reaching a point where he’d pop out of the slot, Aaron calls down that he reached a point where he could climb no further. What? How is that possible? With his pro is place, I lower him and head up to see if there was anything to work out higher up. Near the top of this chimney, I notice some thin holds just over the lip our hopefully exit point. Not wanting to be too far above pro, I place some more while heading towards my goal. All it holds is false hope as the crest of this section is a prelude to a sheer drop-off to the desert floor and my thin holds aren’t leading anywhere I dare to climb, let alone lead.

Being lowered down is deflating as I figure our climb is finished seeing we can’t find a path to the summit. While Aaron goes back up to clean, Steve and I poke around the slot seemingly looking towards a possible weakness near the middle.

Slot s HeartSlot's Heart


Fortunately, Aaron isn’t ready to throw in the towel and wants to investigate if our start could be connected with the crack higher up. Back at it, he immediately places a #3 and works his way ~15 feet off the deck to a spot where he decides to go for it, and calls for the full rack to get shipped up the haul line before resuming our climb towards the thin line of light up high.

Real P2Real P2


Free of belay duty I scoot back and forth to monitor his progress while relaying any relevant information to Jim and Steve. After seemingly forever, Aaron yells down that he’s near the chains. The three of us get excited until hearing that the climb isn’t in the bag yet. From my spot I watch as Aaron pushes his way into the light, and out of sight. The ropes move slowly for the next 5 minutes until we receive Aaron’s off-belay upon reaching the anchors. Excited to finally be free from the slot, I second the pitch pulling the gear except in positions where I deem it might be beneficial to my teammates behind me.

My Turn SlottingMy Turn Slotting


Near the top of pitch I’m released from the slot only to discover the nasty reality to the finish this climb. Here the gap becomes too wide to stem forcing one to push him/herself off the back wall into a small nest of sorts. A 5.7 slab with a fingers crack on the right is the only thing separating me from Aaron, only 15 feet away. The climbing doesn’t look terribly difficult, yet the daunting gap to one’s left constantly pulls at your mind. Man, this climb never gives in! Not wanting to lose it so close to the top, I began working on the crack before scampering the final few feet to the safety of the chains! Man am I glad to be done!

With two teammates still in the slot, I get out of Aaron’s way to start belaying Steve. The views from the top are spectacular.

Off-Balance s ShadowOff-Balance's Shadow


Elephant Butte oozes out of Ham Rock to the east with Balanced Rock grabbing the spotlight from Bubo Tower in the immediate vicinity. Arches’ western border in the early evening is unmatched as usual with the multiple colors and towers dancing away through the streaks of orange and yellow light.

Off-Balance SummitHam Rock and Elephant Butte in Evening Orange


Back at the anchors, I discover Steve’s height is working against him as he works his way up. He’s repeatedly muttering some word, but the slot must is muffling his voice. When he emerges from the depths, he is overjoyed to see that his trials will be over soon. Topping out, Steve’s quite relieved to be on top of his first desert tower. Aaron is also since his back is throbbing from sitting in an awkward while bringing two climbers up. With Jim patiently waiting the chance to summit his first desert tower, I take a final turn on belay until the team is reunited on top.

Jimmy and JamieJim Finishing the Task


Big smiles are the theme as we bask in desert sunset knowing we have just slayed an uncivilized monster.

Aaron Off-Balance SummitAaron Up Top


Celebratory hoots and hollers draw the attention of shocked tourists wandering the Balanced Rock area.

Group on the SummitGroup Summit Shot


Despite wanting to lounge on this summit, we know we’d better descend. Mike has to be finished with the Delicate Arch hike and we don’t want to cause any angst if we aren’t easy to find. Steve and I lounge around a few more minutes, taking pictures and soaking in this climb while Aaron and Jim rap into the waning light. Once Steve begins descending, I go over to the best vantage point and stand there silently thinking about how proud I am of our team today and what we accomplished. Steve’s “off rappel” breaks my train of thought and I descend to the ground, reaching the desert floor in total darkness. Here my stubborn rope tries to get the final word. It won’t pull. In one final team act, we walk the rope as far away from the tower as possible before forcing it to succumb to our will until it falls effortlessly to the ground.

Loading up the rack and a rope, I’m last leaving the tower. Walking around the tower I hear the others voices in the parking lot and know that Mike has found us. None of this matters right now as Off-Balance Rock tugs on my mind for a last bit of attention. Glancing back through the darkness, I feel humbled that we are fortunate enough to have another successful day in such a fantastic place. My stomach growls, and my thoughts turn to food. Quietly, I continue walking across the slabs towards my friends wondering when we’ll find another adventure like this.

jamie

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-17 of 17
shanahan96

shanahan96 - Oct 28, 2010 8:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very cool

glad you like it!

jamie

stevevets689 - Oct 28, 2010 10:29 am - Voted 10/10

Wooo!

"I have to focus on Jim’s needs for the moment"? What the hell dude, that's my job! :D
Awesome report, brought back some good memories. We gotta climb something in the nearish future

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Oct 28, 2010 8:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wooo!

you and jim are special people, that's for sure. :-)

call me, we'll set something up. ihinger and i are going to hopefully finish our uncompleted task over thanksgiving weekend.

jamie

EJBean

EJBean - Oct 31, 2010 7:20 pm - Voted 9/10

Pics of your climb

Great report. I happened to be in Arches on Oct 16th on a family vacation. My wife spotted people on Off-Balance Rock, and I took pictures. On the off chance that it might be you, I checked and I'm 99% sure it is. Check them out.
http://www.summitpost.org/climbers-on-off-balance/675859/c-403489
http://www.summitpost.org/climbers-on-off-balance/675860/c-403489
These were taken at 1:30pm. Shoot me a PM if you want copies of the originals.

stevevets689 - Nov 1, 2010 6:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Pics of your climb

That's us! Jamie is standing up at the belay station, I'm sitting next to him, Jim is climbing the first pitch and Aaron is in the chimney and out of view.

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 1, 2010 6:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pics of your climb

man steve, you're on the ball!

EJBean, thanks for taking pics of us. too bad we didn't get a chance to say hi. did you go to arches for the delicate arch hike?

jamie

EJBean

EJBean - Nov 2, 2010 3:24 am - Voted 9/10

Re: Pics of your climb

We just went down to Moab for a short family vacation. I did hike to Delicate Arch Sunday morning with my son - we had the arch all to ourselves for about 30 minutes. Is the person at the bottom, left of the big rocks also part of your group?

stevevets689 - Nov 2, 2010 1:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Pics of your climb

Oh, yes, that is Mike, he decided to do some hiking instead of climbing the tower that day.

rpc

rpc - Nov 1, 2010 12:51 pm - Voted 10/10

nice write up & photos

I hope my beta did not throw you guys off!
Enjoyed the read. Cheers!

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 1, 2010 7:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice write up & photos

nah radek, your beta is good. thanks! i left my copy in the car and skewed the beta internally....oh well. we're returning to the desert over thanksgiving. what about you?

jamie

BigRob

BigRob - Nov 1, 2010 1:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Looks like a good ole time.

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 1, 2010 7:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

what's up rob! how it's going? i'll probably be in telluride early january. if you're interested, we should finish up our incomplete endeavor on vermillion.

jamie

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Nov 2, 2010 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats!

Congrats guys, sorry I had to bail on you, I just spent too much time staring at the route and "psyched" myself out. Probably a good thing though, with a 5th on the rope it might not have been enough daylight to get the team up.

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 2, 2010 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats!

there's always next time. and who knows, your nose for delicate routefinding may have saved us from missing the crack in the slot??

jamie

maverick

maverick - Nov 2, 2010 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Strong work...

Why is that chicagotransplant character not on the rock with the rest of you guys?

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 2, 2010 7:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Strong work...

well prakash....he realized you weren't on the rock and decided to conduct a 1-man rescue effort to make sure you were okay. :-)

jamie

kamil

kamil - Nov 6, 2010 11:40 am - Voted 10/10

kudoz to you guys...

...for this great climb!
cheers,
kamil

Viewing: 1-17 of 17


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Off-Balance RockTrip Reports