Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.25000°N / 122.1°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 10, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

What a hike!

Iron Mountain is quite a steep trail, but when my fiancee and I stopped to catch our breath every so often, we quickly found ourselves enraptured by the awesome depth to the beauty around us. Flora and fauna enthusiasts with find this and the Cone Peak trail a MUST in July/August. Geologists (or anyone) will find many rock formations of varying colors to gaze at. Entomologists will appriciate the many insects that flutter or buzz around, especially the tame butterflies that let you get close. And, of course, the breathtaking vistas are well worth a long look. Forest rangers and hikers at the top must feed some of the animals, because the highlight of our trip was a pair of curious chipmunks who took food from our hands and even climbed on us and let us pet them.

So bring some snacks, because whether your calling a halt to inspect some of the local beauty, or to stare into the distance, or perhaps to feed some little animals, this is a hike where the journey is just as good as the destination.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Deb

Deb - Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Interest Piqued

Please put some photos of Iron Mtn on this page; sounds like a wonderful trip....we wanna see!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Iron MountainTrip Reports