Itapiroca Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Felipe Land & Sea Hiker

Felipe Land & Sea Hiker - Jan 30, 2016 7:38 pm Date Climbed: Dec 31, 2015

Summited Itaprioca Peak  Sucess!

Began the ascent on the 30th of January 2015 from the Pico Paraná farm. Arrived at the Itapiroca camp area (on the false summit) in the late afternoon under rain, fog and high winds. Made camp behind a large rock for protection from the strong wind coming from the west. Woke up the next day January 31st and conquered the true summit of Itapiroca. We had the intention of completing a 4 day expedition conquering several summits however due to the weather we decided to return to the Pico Paraná farm.

Felipe Land & Sea Hiker

Felipe Land & Sea Hiker - Oct 26, 2015 6:21 am Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2015

Stuck at "basecamp" to Mount Itapiroca

We actually began our climb on October 11th early in the afternoon. Before attempting this hike I read Parofes account of this mountain as well as a few others. All the accounts I read indicated that this is the easiest mountains to climb in the Ibitiriaquire mountain range.

We arrived at the Pico Paraná with cloud cover and we new that the forecast was for rain for the next few days. We also knew that the weather should clear by at least Tuesday. Therefore we were well prepared for the rain. During registration we warned a few hikers that clearly did not take the proper precautions against soaking all their gear in their packs. There were already 40 hikers registered and up the trail.

We began the hike with a light rain that soon increased in intensity. We hiked to Getuilo hill and there decided that we would not continue to the summit of Itapiroca since it was already late in the afternoon and we would arrive at its summit at night hiking a trail none of us had ever been on. Safety first! We put up our tent and it would remain there until Tuesday October morning. That first night we saw flashes from thunderstorms in the distance to the west that would travel northeast. We never saw a bolt or a hear the thunder therefore we remained on the Mountain. From Sunday to Tuesday we used every brief break in the torrential rain to dry our clothing, cook a hot meal and enjoy the view.

On Tuesday we woke up to blue skies with clouds rolling between the giants (Itapiroca, Caratuva, Taipabaçu and Ferraria). It was such beautiful day that we thought it would last and we might be able to reach the summit. We took a long time to break camp since we were trying to use the sun to finally dry out all our gear. Therefore we began the hike up the trail late in the morning but before we were able to arrive at the intersection to the trials that lead to the peak Paraná and Itapiroca we heard thunder and saw an approaching storm for obvious reasons we aborted the attempt. Heading back down to the Pico Paraná farm. Were we would arrive back at the farm by on Tuesday October 13th, 2015.


PAROFES - Nov 19, 2010 6:54 am Date Climbed: May 5, 2010

Finaly  Sucess!

It's the easiest summit of the area and my last one to do. But i got the worst weather ever...have to go back!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Itapiroca Peak' main page