Viewing: 1-6 of 6
David Mortensen

David Mortensen - Jul 29, 2014 11:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome!

I was hoping you would do a report on this hike. After reading it, I don't think I'll ever do East Provo again either. It was fun once, but never again. The pictures turned out really well. Also, I like the title. Jekyll and Hyde is a great way to describe Provo Peak.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 30, 2014 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!

Yeah, once was definitely enough. Going down the backside of Provo Peak was more work than I bargained for, and it felt like the rock was so loose in some places that one good quake is all it would take to bring down that whole ridge.

abrennalinerush

abrennalinerush - Aug 4, 2014 10:31 am - Voted 10/10

Great trip report!

"This down climb quickly jumped to the top of my “worst mountain terrain ever encountered” list"

I cannot agree with this statement more. If I ever see the east ridge of Provo Peak again, it will be too soon. That rock is so nasty and rotten!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 6, 2014 4:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip report!

Thanks! I thought maybe it was just me, but it sounds like everyone who's been on that section can relate to how nasty the rock is.

utahguy058

utahguy058 - Aug 7, 2014 1:14 am - Voted 10/10

Great Report!

I had very similar sentiments to you on this mountain! Though I didn't find going down the east ridge of Provo to be that bad. However I stayed on the ridge. The East Provo ridge was heavenly and fun! Going back up the East Provo ridge was just about the worst thing I have ever done in my life! HOLY COW THAT WAS STEEP, and the rotten rock. I would like to say I would never go back, but I am sure if someone begged me to take them over I would do it.... in ten years.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 7, 2014 3:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report!

Ha ha! Yeah, it would definitely take some coaxing to get me back on that ridge. East Provo Peak after the saddle was a cinch, but Provo's east side was another matter. I never considered myself someone to work on a specific mountain list or a peak-bagger (gasp), but you almost have to have that type of OCD to try this hike. Maybe I'd do it again if it was to help someone else working on their Wasatch 11er list ... maybe.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Jekyll & Hyde - Provo Ridge' main page