Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.18595°N / 82.60234°W
Additional Information County: Transylvania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2965 ft / 904 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Bushwhack
scramble
Joanna Mountain is a dominant peak near the center of DuPont State Forest in the high country of North Carolina. Joanna is one of the more prominent peaks in the forest, and has a number of rock faces, mainly facing south and east. The summit is without views and is accessible only by a short bushwhack, most easily done from the Joanna Mountain Trail. The best views on the peak are from the cliffs just below the summit and looking down on Lake Dense.

Located near Brevard, this approximately 11,000 acre tract of land was 
Rock Face
Scramble
once completely owned by the DuPont Corporation. The center of the tract was the location of the Agfa Plant, just one operation among many owned and operated by DuPont.

When the plant was to be shut down, the land around it was about to be sold to a local real estate developer. The area is home to an amazing series of waterfalls jammed into a compact area and is of an exceedingly high caliber for visual beauty. Fortunately, enough was done to galvanize the right people to stop the sale and allow the state to step in and procure this acreage as a state forest.





 
Multi-use!
Multi-use
In addition to the Agfa Plant, DuPont had also built an amazing web of gravel roads and trails throughout to allow access to any of the four lakes that had been created there, and to the lodge and cabins also available for use to DuPont employees. There was even an airstrip and hangar for those arriving by small plane. All of this land is now community property administered by the state of North Carolina in a quasi-park status.

There are no camping facilities within this state forest, but there 
Corn Mill Shoals
Corn Mill Shoals
are a number of parking areas that allow access to any of dozens of trailheads. Bathroom facilities are still under construction, so one must risk the use of portapotties only under extreme desperation. Some of the parking areas are often jammed with humanity during weekends and holidays as folk take leisurely strolls to the most accessible of the more spectacular waterfalls.

 
High Falls
High Falls
Almost all of the trails in the forest are multi-use. You are as likely to encounter horseback riders and mountain bikers as you are hikers. In fact, hikers are often in the minority on many of the trails. Also, a lot of the trails consist of the old gravel auto roads, so if you don't like road-hiking, this park is not for you.

Currently, no camping is allowed in the park. This is under study and 
120-foot Shower
Big Shower!
there may be an official campground located within the forest at some future date. There are a number of private campgrounds and public campgrounds within a short distance of DuPont State Forest.




Getting There

From Asheville (via Pisgah Forest)
Take I-26 east to Exit 40, and take NC-280 toward Pisgah Forest. Turn left (east) on US-64 and go 3.7 miles to the Texaco station in Penrose. Turn right on Crab Creek Rd. and continue 4.3 miles and turn right on DuPont Rd. for 3.1 miles.

From Greenville, SC (via US-276 and Cedar Mountain)
US-276 north to Caesar’s Head SC and continue. Go 1.6 miles after entering North Carolina; turn right on Cascade Lake Rd. in Cedar Mountain NC. Take Cascade Lake Road 2.5 miles to Staton Rd (past the Corn Mill Shoals Access). Turn right on Staton Rd. for 2.2 miles.

From Greenville (Via US-25 and Flat Rock)
Take US-25 north to Exit 5 - Flat Rock-Tuxedo. Turn left on NC-225 toward Flat Rock. At second traffic light (Little River Rd./sign for Carl Sandburg Home) turn left on Little River Rd. and go to end. Turn left (at flashing traffic light) onto Crab Creek Rd. and continue for 7.1 miles to DuPont Rd. Turn left for 3.1 miles

From Hendersonville
Take Business US-25 (Church St.) south to Kanuga and turn right. Kanuga becomes Crab Creek Rd. after 3.9 miles at Little River Rd. (flashing traffic light). Continue on Crab Creek 7.1 miles to DuPont Rd. Turn left for 3.1 miles.

From Spartanburg (via I-26)
Take I-26 to Exit 53 (Upward Rd.). Turn left on Upward Rd. to US-176. Upward Rd. now becomes N. Highland Lake Rd. Continue to traffic light at US-225S (Greenville Hwy.). Turn left to first traffic light (Little River Rd./sign for Carl Sandburg Home). Turn right on Little River Rd. and go to end. Turn left at flashing traffic light on Crab Creek Rd. and continue for 7.1 miles to DuPont Rd. Turn left for 3.1 miles.

Red Tape

None. Access is free. Currently, no camping or overnight stays are allowed in the forest.

Camping

Nearby campgrounds include:

Cascade Lake Recreation Area

and

Davidson River Campground


Back Up!
Up!

External Links

Friends of DuPont State Forest

DuPont State Forest

Online Trail Map

This great online trail map shows the amazing combinations possible for almost any kind of bike, hike, or horseback ride.