Kachina Peak, Lake Fork Peak., UN 12819

Kachina Peak, Lake Fork Peak., UN 12819

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.58994°N / 105.39169°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/ Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Park at Bull of the Woods trailhead at the ski area. See the Getting There section on the main page for details.

Route Description

Beginning elevation ~9237 ft
Lake Fork Peak (High Point ): 12,881 ft
UN 12819: 12,819 ft
Elevation gain: 3644 ft
Distance: Approx 5 miles to UN 12819 summit

Climb to the summit of Kachina Peak. Use the Taos Ski Valley Route as a reference.
From the summit of Kachina Peak head south toward Lake Fork Peak. You will hike down a couple hundred feet before starting your ascent of Lake Fork Peak. Scramble up class 3 rocky slope to the top of a false summit ~12,480 feet. Continue south along the ridge and climb to the sumit of Lake Fork Peak at 12,881 ft. From the summit, UN 12819 is visible and the route is obvious. Hike down to the saddle ~12,290 ft and climb the tundra to the summit of UN 12819. It takes about 5 hours to reach this summit from the ski area base. I had intended to return via the same route, but was chased off the mountain by a thunderstorm. Climb down to the saddle between Lake Fork Peak and UN 12819. From here you’ll be hopping a lot of boulders and surfing some scree for a couple of hours before reaching Williams lake. Follow the trail north ~ 3 miles to the trailhead.


Essential Gear

Basic Hiking shoes should be sufficient for this climb. Be prepared for thunderstorms during the summer months

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 31, 2012 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Still under construction?

This has been under construction for 7 years it seems? Also, why is this attached to Wheeler Peak? Shouldn't it be attached to the other three peaks?

Midlife Mountaineer

Midlife Mountaineer - Nov 1, 2012 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Still under construction?

Good catch on my page, I've corrected it. I wrote this route for the Bighorn Peak page because you have to summit Kachina and Lake Fork on the way to Bighorn. Scotthsu added it to his Wheeler Peak Wilderness page because these peaks are located in this wilderness area.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
UN 12819Routes