Viewing: 1-6 of 6
theronmoon

theronmoon - Aug 3, 2007 4:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome!

A very cool page. I have only been to the south rim and can't wait to get to the north rim next time. Thanks for making the page!

surgent

surgent - Aug 5, 2007 3:10 pm - Hasn't voted

North Rim Rules

The crowds are about a tenth of the zoo you find on the South Rim. Cooler temps, thicker forests, it's worth the extra 200 miles.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jan 15, 2009 3:30 pm - Voted 10/10

The coords

are some distance NW from the lookout, so we gotta assume that this point is higher, right? (my picture has the coordinates for the tower right, I think). Thanks for pointing my attention to this highpoint, it was a welcome diversion on a longhaul ski trip from Jacob Lake! (I also hoped to find cell phone reception on the top, and my Verizon phone even showed two bars, but wouldn't connect anyway :) )

surgent

surgent - Jan 17, 2009 2:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The coords

The coordinates are for the Kaibab Plateau "summit". It is the only 9,200-foot contour on the whole plateau. The lookout and nearby areas within the GCNP are slightly lower (not by much). However, I did just update the page to include a link to the North Rim Lookout topo map. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jan 17, 2009 6:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The coords

Thanks, it just took me a while to figure out what's the story here. Drats, I passed less than a mile from the "real" highpoint on the way back (through the 4-way junction on rte 22), could have as well bagged my first "true" AZ mountain :) if I only knew

surgent

surgent - Jan 19, 2009 2:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The coords

I am sorry to say that you'll just have to go back to the North Rim and try it again :). The HP is pretty lame, but it looks good in your stats. I'm sure it won't be tough to talk you into going back, I'm sure!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Kaibab Plateau & North Rim Lookout' main page