Katahdin Panorama

Katahdin Panorama

Katahdin as seen from Chimney Pond. The summit is on the right hand side of the ridge, with the Cathedrals extending downward from the summit. To the far left is the ridge line that the Dudley Trail traverses up to Pamola Peak. Between Pamola Peak and the summit of Katahdin, Baxter Peak, is the famed Knife Edge. This photo is taken from Chimney Pond in the Great Basin and stitched together using five photos. My brother and I had just descended the Cathedral Trail and were about to ascend the Dudley Trail to re-climb the mountain. (July 4, 2008)
tioga
on Oct 26, 2008 8:30 pm
Image Type(s): Bouldering,  Hiking,  Scenery,  Panorama,  Water
Image ID: 457410

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 13, 2009 10:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Clear!

I get jealous whenever I see these great shots of Katahdin. My once to climb the peak was in lousy weather. We did it, but no opportunities for views.

tioga

tioga - Jan 14, 2009 8:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Clear!

Thanks Bob! It was a tremendous day on Katahdin. As the ranger said, the best day of the year. We were quite fortunate. You should try to visit the mountain again. But I am somewhat jealous of all the peaks you have climbed in the southeast. I would love to visit that area some more and hit some of those mountains.

sourstraw

sourstraw - Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

memories

This is beautiful ... my parents took me and my sisters to Chimney pond on a hike when I was much younger - these views as a child are what fed my desire to climb higher!

tioga

tioga - Jan 20, 2009 8:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: memories

I have a lot of respect for parents who take their kids to the mountains to hike when they are young. Our vacations usually involved mountains and hiking and now it is one of my passions. Thanks for your comments.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Jan 20, 2009 12:53 am - Voted 10/10

Jealous

That's a great shot! When I went, everything was shrouded in mist and clouds. We got several inches of rain while we hiked.

tioga

tioga - Jan 20, 2009 8:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Jealous

We were very lucky to get such good weather while there. I hope you are able to get back there in the future.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6