Keeping an Old Appointment with Longs Peak

Keeping an Old Appointment with Longs Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.25470°N / 105.6153°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 21, 2003
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling

What Would Shakespeare Do?

 
The Diamond
The Diamond 

Longs Peak: “To climb or not to climb—that is the question: Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageously unfit and unprepared crowds or to take boots against that sea of troubles and, by opposing, pass and ignore them.”

--Generally attributed to William Shakespeare as he contemplated the climb of a popular but majestic peak in Scotland; later, inspired by the idea of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, he adapted this for what became the world’s greatest play.

Enough of that.

But does someone who loves the mountains but feels distinctly differently about tourist-choked trails climb a mountain like Longs or not? Its stature, size, splendor, and variety of routes all say to climb it. The traffic jams on certain parts of the standard route, plus the noise and deflating effect of a crowded summit, say to stay away.

But look at it. Read about it. How can you NOT climb it? Experienced Colorado mountaineers who have seen much of the state’s very best still return to and love this mountain, so it’s more than just a very popular hunk of rock.

Broken Appointments Finally Kept

Longs Peak
 The east face above Chasm Lake

I first saw Longs Peak in July 1996. I first passed on a chance to climb it the next July. In August 2001, I passed on it again, opting to spend an extra day around the Wind River Range before returning to Denver to meet my wife. In 2003, I procured a backpacking permit for the Boulderfield Campground—a place that lives up to its name perfectly—at about 12,200’ and 6 miles along the 8-mile, 4800’ standard route up Longs Peak. Questioning my desire to put in all that work just to share the peak with the crowds the mountain attracts all summer, I time and again came close to canceling my permit and settling for something else instead.

But Longs Peak, in addition to being a prominent and challenging mountain, is also the northernmost Colorado fourteener and the highest peak in all the national parks of the Rockies (Canadian parks included), and there is no higher peak in the Rockies proper north of it. To someone like me, not climbing it despite ample opportunity to do so would be more than a shame; it would be a sin. I climbed it, and I am glad I did. I endured the crowds (and totally avoided them when it really counted) and conquered this great peak. I’d be kicking myself now if I had passed on it once again.

It’s a little hypocritical, I know, to expect solitude on a popular mountain when yours are yet another set of feet on it, but that’s me. When I broke camp a little before six the next morning, there was already a steady stream, more like a small army, of headlamps coming up the trail. Back at the trailhead, I checked the register and counted almost 80 groups on the mountain that day, and most had three or more people. Had I done Longs as a day hike, I’d have had to have dealt with from 200-300 other hikers on the way up. I can’t imagine how frustrated I’d have been hiking with, past, and hurriedly ahead of all those people, especially up the Trough, the long, steep, and narrow couloir that puts one in position to reach the summit pitch.

Throwing the Dice, and Turning Up Snake Eyes

Mount Lady Washington
Lady Washington 

Instead, I summitted in the late afternoon. I started at about 9:30, reached the campground around noon, got a nice rest, and found I had the time and energy to try the summit that afternoon instead of the next morning as originally planned. The only question mark was the weather, but it held; although storms threatened much of the afternoon and thunder and rain briefly visited around lunchtime, the skies, often overcast (but the clouds were high and the views therefore still good), cooperated.

Chasm Overlook
Chasm Overlook 

From Chasm View, one of the best scenes that most day hikers on Longs never see, I traversed rubble to reach the Keyhole, where I picked up and followed the standard route up the mountain. The route comes with a lot of warnings, probably a good idea because of the altitude, the climb, the length, the weather, the Class 3 climbing on the upper part of the peak, and especially the many inexperienced or unprepared people who have no business on this mountain but try it anyway because of its fame and accessibility (every year, there are deaths and/or serious injuries here). I thought it was easy, though; only the rain-caused slickness in a few places, most notably (and dangerously) on the Homestretch, gave me any real concern. But my decision paid off not only because I made the summit that day but also because I had the mountain all to myself from the campground to the summit and back. 
 
Palisades and Mount Meeker near the Homestretch
Palisades 

Ignorance Is Bliss


Chasm Lake
Chasm Lake 

Not interested in taking the Keyhole Route back to camp, I did what I often do—found my own way back down. I headed straight down the north face of the peak, headed generally toward the towers near the Keyhole, then turning when the going seemed a little too difficult, and heading for Chasm View.

Several months later, after buying and reading Gerry Roach’s guide to the 14ers, I discovered I had followed parts of the Keyhole Ridge and North Face routes, including the hardest parts (5.4) of the latter, which involved stretching and sliding my way down some wet slabs. At the time, I never would have knowingly tried a 5.4 route unroped, especially as a downclimb, again illustrating my belief that it’s often better NOT to know a route’s difficulty and instead just get out and try to do it. Sometimes the description and/or rating can intimidate a climber when he is actually capable of completing the route.

Back at Chasm View, I took another look at the spectacular Diamond, the sheer east face of Longs Peak, and then returned to my tent for dinner, a cold beer (stashed earlier in a shady cranny still holding some snow), and the night. It was a fitting end to an epic seven-week trip through the Rockies from northern Colorado all the way up to Jasper and back-- the Last Hurrah, so dubbed because of my wife’s plan to introduce a child into our lives before the next summer (it took longer, though, allowing the Last Hurrah II the next summer-- Ha!). The next morning’s hikers got the better weather, but I got dawn at Chasm Lake all to myself, and that was a great way to say goodbye to this magnificent peak.

Diamond Dawn and Chasm Lake
Chasm Lake 
Ships Prow and Chasm Lake, Dawn
Ships Prow and Chasm Lake 

Take Me Back

Like Utah’s Timpanogos, Longs is one of those mountains that attracts big crowds for some very good reasons. It’s simply a great mountain because of its character, location, and views. I doubt I’ll ever do the Keyhole Route again until my children are old enough for it, but I’d love to try the classic Kieners Route or the Loft in conjunction with Mount Meeker. It’s rare that I want to do any particular mountain more than once; living in the East and being a teacher, my trips to the West’s great mountains are mostly restricted to the summers, so I try to do different things each time I go. But Longs is one of those few I want to meet again.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Apr 26, 2007 9:43 pm - Voted 10/10

A social mountain

Good report and description of your experience on the mountain. Having climbed Longs 93 times, I learned long ago that Longs via the standard Keyhole/Homestretch Route is a social climb. Part of the experience is visiting with your fellow climbers and getting their stories and impressions of the mountain.
Good climbing ... Peace, Jim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 27, 2007 7:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A social mountain

93 times? Holy s***! I thought my 20+ times in Whiteoak Canyon back here was a lot! That seems to underscore my point about experienced mountaineers and people well-versed in Colorado's mountains returning again and again. And I'm sure you've done many, if not all, of the established routes there, too.

Bob

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Apr 30, 2007 1:55 am - Hasn't voted

Enjoyed the Read!

Well-done report of a great mountain. Great quality pics too! Really captured the scenery and the experience nicely.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 30, 2007 7:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoyed the Read!

Thanks, Brad. I know you're a big fan of CO yourself and are well-versed in its mountains, so I really appreciate your comments and your reading the TR.

eric b

eric b - Aug 18, 2007 1:35 am - Voted 10/10

Nicely done

I liked the part in bolface anout a rating can intimidate a climber into not doing a route they are capable. Obviously there are pro's and cons in either descion but I've been "guide booked out" of a climb I later did barely elevating the heart rate. Great TR.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 18, 2007 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nicely done

Thanks, Eric. I like your term "guide booked out" a lot. I guess it really is better to know what you're getting into, but then I think of the Wetterhorn in Colorado. Gerry Roach's guide says some people rope up for the summit pitch even though it's Class 3, and that had me wondering if it was smart for me to do the route free solo. Well, I did it and found myself questioning whether that pitch was even Class 3! And rope, at least in dry weather? I couldn't get it.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jul 27, 2008 9:34 pm - Voted 10/10

I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Like you, having signed the summit register of Siler's Bald, I understand the need for solitude on a hike. In the Smokies I have learned when to hike certain peaks so I can be at the summit alone. With Longs, I don't think that is possible - and that is OK. I'll be going back in 2 weeks for my third attempt (hopefully 2nd successful summit) with my 32 year old nephew. I don't expect solitude - I'll head to Wild Basin and an early start for that - but weather permitting I expect a great day on Longs. Your trip report was great and reiterates so many of my attitudes about hiking. Thanks for the motivation 2 weeks before a trip.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 28, 2008 8:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Mark, thank you very much for your comments. I was lucky to have solitude on Longs since I went up in the late afternoon and could afford to do so since I was camped up there, but you're right; it's not a mountain where people should expect solitude, at least not in the summer.

Good luck on your upcoming Longs trip!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 1, 2008 1:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Following up - my nephew and I were successful. A great day!!!. We met some great people from Indiana and Ohio as well.

Although I was amazed - and disgusted - by two events. Thirty minutes into the hike - about 2:30 AM - we were passed by 3 college age kids. One of them had their "Ipod" on speaker and they were listening to a comedy show. We gladly let them get far in front of us. Second, when we got to the summit I wandered off alone to check out some of the mountain peaks in the distance - while my nephew's 1st triumph of Longs's was interrupted by someone on their cell phone - who had it on speaker. He got to listen to the whole conversation - and was annoyed to say the least. Don't get me wrong - it was a great day - but I never expected others to be so inconsiderate with their "electronic devices" in the wilderness.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 2, 2008 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Yikes! I would have been steaming. There is just no escaping these people in popular areas. I have heard stories like this about people atop Half Dome, Mount Rainier, and other sought-after summits in the national parks. When I was on Lassen almost 10 years ago, I had to share the summit with a huge group of kids out on one of those summer camp-style outings to experience nature. In addition to acting like loud idiots up there, they also left all their lunch trash-- bags, straws, wrappers, and so on-- all over the place. I had to go to one of the counselors to point it out. He made the kids clean up, but I suspected he wouldn't have bothered checking otherwise; he was starting to head down already when I alerted him.

At least you made the best of it and enjoyed the climb in spite of those two "earsores."

Viewing: 1-10 of 10

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Longs PeakTrip Reports
 
Colorado CallingTrip Reports