Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Apr 26, 2007 9:43 pm - Voted 10/10

A social mountain

Good report and description of your experience on the mountain. Having climbed Longs 93 times, I learned long ago that Longs via the standard Keyhole/Homestretch Route is a social climb. Part of the experience is visiting with your fellow climbers and getting their stories and impressions of the mountain.
Good climbing ... Peace, Jim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 27, 2007 7:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A social mountain

93 times? Holy s***! I thought my 20+ times in Whiteoak Canyon back here was a lot! That seems to underscore my point about experienced mountaineers and people well-versed in Colorado's mountains returning again and again. And I'm sure you've done many, if not all, of the established routes there, too.

Bob

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Apr 30, 2007 1:55 am - Hasn't voted

Enjoyed the Read!

Well-done report of a great mountain. Great quality pics too! Really captured the scenery and the experience nicely.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 30, 2007 7:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoyed the Read!

Thanks, Brad. I know you're a big fan of CO yourself and are well-versed in its mountains, so I really appreciate your comments and your reading the TR.

eric b

eric b - Aug 18, 2007 1:35 am - Voted 10/10

Nicely done

I liked the part in bolface anout a rating can intimidate a climber into not doing a route they are capable. Obviously there are pro's and cons in either descion but I've been "guide booked out" of a climb I later did barely elevating the heart rate. Great TR.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 18, 2007 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nicely done

Thanks, Eric. I like your term "guide booked out" a lot. I guess it really is better to know what you're getting into, but then I think of the Wetterhorn in Colorado. Gerry Roach's guide says some people rope up for the summit pitch even though it's Class 3, and that had me wondering if it was smart for me to do the route free solo. Well, I did it and found myself questioning whether that pitch was even Class 3! And rope, at least in dry weather? I couldn't get it.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jul 27, 2008 9:34 pm - Voted 10/10

I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Like you, having signed the summit register of Siler's Bald, I understand the need for solitude on a hike. In the Smokies I have learned when to hike certain peaks so I can be at the summit alone. With Longs, I don't think that is possible - and that is OK. I'll be going back in 2 weeks for my third attempt (hopefully 2nd successful summit) with my 32 year old nephew. I don't expect solitude - I'll head to Wild Basin and an early start for that - but weather permitting I expect a great day on Longs. Your trip report was great and reiterates so many of my attitudes about hiking. Thanks for the motivation 2 weeks before a trip.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 28, 2008 8:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Mark, thank you very much for your comments. I was lucky to have solitude on Longs since I went up in the late afternoon and could afford to do so since I was camped up there, but you're right; it's not a mountain where people should expect solitude, at least not in the summer.

Good luck on your upcoming Longs trip!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 1, 2008 1:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Following up - my nephew and I were successful. A great day!!!. We met some great people from Indiana and Ohio as well.

Although I was amazed - and disgusted - by two events. Thirty minutes into the hike - about 2:30 AM - we were passed by 3 college age kids. One of them had their "Ipod" on speaker and they were listening to a comedy show. We gladly let them get far in front of us. Second, when we got to the summit I wandered off alone to check out some of the mountain peaks in the distance - while my nephew's 1st triumph of Longs's was interrupted by someone on their cell phone - who had it on speaker. He got to listen to the whole conversation - and was annoyed to say the least. Don't get me wrong - it was a great day - but I never expected others to be so inconsiderate with their "electronic devices" in the wilderness.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 2, 2008 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I Understand Your Quest for Solitude

Yikes! I would have been steaming. There is just no escaping these people in popular areas. I have heard stories like this about people atop Half Dome, Mount Rainier, and other sought-after summits in the national parks. When I was on Lassen almost 10 years ago, I had to share the summit with a huge group of kids out on one of those summer camp-style outings to experience nature. In addition to acting like loud idiots up there, they also left all their lunch trash-- bags, straws, wrappers, and so on-- all over the place. I had to go to one of the counselors to point it out. He made the kids clean up, but I suspected he wouldn't have bothered checking otherwise; he was starting to head down already when I alerted him.

At least you made the best of it and enjoyed the climb in spite of those two "earsores."

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Keeping an Old Appointment with Longs Peak' main page