King's Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7

Cleon - Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am Date Climbed: Sep 21, 2010

Fourth Time Lucky  Sucess!

Try, try, and try again..., got caught in a thunder and lightning storm on the first attempt,my youngest was only five years old on our second attempt and it was just the proverbial bridge to far. Got caught out in torrential rains on the third attempt (left the meadows with 20 feet of visibility and sheets of rain, got to the car 2 hours later in beautiful sunshine), came back three days later and finally knocked it off. Hikers trail, 2 hours 20 minutes to the meadows, another hour onto the ridge leading to the Queen, 5.5 hours from truck to the summit, 4.5 hours down. The hardest part is from the power-lines to the meadows.

jamesmh

jamesmh - Jan 9, 2014 5:10 pm Date Climbed: Oct 26, 2013

Great hike  Sucess!

Started from the power lines and hiked it as a day hike. This was during fall's inversion period and after climbing through the fog layer, I was rewarded for the rest of the day by amazing views of islands of peaks sticking out of the ocean of fog. It was fantastic. Quads were burning the next day (especially after an AM mountain bike ride).

walkingtrashcan

walkingtrashcan - Oct 7, 2012 9:00 pm Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2012

Second time for the summer  Sucess!

Led a group of 4 up via the hikers route. Cold in the morning. Clear sky and warm weather at the peak.

walkingtrashcan

walkingtrashcan - Aug 31, 2012 2:58 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2012

Great day hike  Sucess!

Hiked straight up the glacier as the snowpack was pretty good. Summited late afternoon in light cloud. I was seduced by Elkhorn peak and dropped down into the valley between King's and Elkhorn in an attempt to summit Elkhorn the next day (I was unsuccessful).

Fatty74

Fatty74 - Jul 22, 2009 5:47 pm Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2008

Hiker's route; east ridge camp  Sucess!

A little more than this overweight smoker should chew, but I pulled it off anyway! Made it to the summit around 7 pm, and the evening light was really nice for photos (sorry, lost the CD). We camped on the ridge above the meadows where we had a few cold ones chillin' in the snow. The gully was barely passable (had to squeeze through the moat). My moron buddy thought he'd just glissade down the runout of this gully which was ice-hard at 8 am. Needless to say, he "glissaded" on his rear-end while dislocating his shoulder grabbing at branches whizzing by. I, on the other hand, opted to skin my rear-end, and wreck my knee avoiding the runout. Perhaps that 3rd cup of coffee before heading down would have been a good idea...

camerona91

camerona91 - Nov 14, 2008 1:11 pm Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2008

Fun  Sucess!

Went up via the West Ridge hiker's trail. Lots of fun. Took our time and camped in the alpine. Nice and direct trail. Beautiful weather!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 6, 2002 12:07 pm

Route Climbed: King's Peak Trail Date Climbed: August 30, 2002  Sucess!

Incredibly beautiful but tough climb. Enjoyed the tree root climbing but hated the steep scree. I ended up pulling myself up and over some bushes and trees to get back on trail. Beautiful meadow but buggy. Fun gully climb and ridge hike. Great views up top of an endless sea of snow-capped peaks. We left at 7:30 am and got back to the car at 8 pm. Loooooooong day.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'King's Peak' main page