Challenger Point Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
ClydeLovett

ClydeLovett - Feb 28, 2004 12:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

One of those previously unnamed peaks has been named Columbia.

jstanley

jstanley - Jun 6, 2003 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

In June 2002 my son Peter (then 15) and I climbed Challenger Pt. and Kit Carson from Willow Creek. I just want to add that we, following the directions in Garratt & Martins Colorado's High Thirteeners*, followed the rib of rock on the left (east) side of the gash or gully up Challenger Pk. from the valley above Willow Lake. The rock is solid and good to climb on and not perhaps as steep as it looks.



Another comment. The ledge or ramp you follow from the Kit Carson notch around Kit Carson to climb that peak, is big, but is not so big as to be always obvious on the way back when you are looking up from below. We actually missed it and ended up contouring arond the mountain lower down before climbing back up to the crest of Challenger near the top of the gash. So this is just a suggestion to look back occasionally if you are following the ramp to be sure you will recognize it on the way back, if you climb Kit Carson from the Willow Creek side.



* This book also briefly describes climbing Kit Carson by going over (or nearly over) the 13799 ft and 13980 ft unnamed summits from the eastern, South Colony Lakes side.

ClydeLovett

ClydeLovett - Feb 28, 2004 12:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

One of those previously unnamed peaks has been named Columbia.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jul 26, 2004 4:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

North Crestone Creek Campground is a Forest Service campground located 1 mile north of the little town of Crestone and only 3 miles from the trailhead. There are 13 undeveloped sites for $9.00/night. To get there, drive into the town of Crestone on the main road. At the 21st Amendment Liquor Store intersection, go straight on a paved road for 1 mile to the campground.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Challenger Point' main page