Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42549°N / 7.64322°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 9852 ft / 3003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Klein Rinderhorn from the west. West Flank

The Klein Rinderhorn (Chli Rinderhorn in Swiss German) is a small pyramidal peak located just north of its larger neighbor the Rinderhorn near the Daubensee and Gemmipass in the western Bernese Alps. Because the peaks are composed of the same stratified sedimentary rocks and were formed so near each other by the same faulting process, they have an extremely similar shape and the name Klein Rinderhorn is particularly fitting. The major difference in appearance besides size is that the Klein Rinderhorn is not high enough to sustain permanent snow and ice as does the Rinderhorn. This is a peak that someone visiting the area with limited time and no partner could reasonably do alone via the West Flank.  

Chli Rinderhorn From Sunnbuel

Getting There

The southern and shortest approach is via Gemmipass from Leukerbad (about one hour from the top of the Gemmibahn). From the north, one can either hike or ride the lift from Kandersteg (about two hours from the top of the lift). TOPO MAP  

Klein Rinderhorn SE Ridge is on right

Routes

There are two established routes on the Klein Rinderhorn. Both are rated " mittelschwer" or "middle difficult" which normally means rock climbing of Grade II to III is involved.  

Klein Rinderhorn from the southwest West Flank

Klein Rinderhorn from the southwestWest Flank
Southeast Ridge This is a steep narrow ridge leading to the summit from the saddle with the Rinderhorn. It is shorter than the West Flank and certainly appears more difficult with roped climbing probably required. West Flank This is a relatively broad talus covered slope broken by three distinct cliff bands. There is a very obvious ramp through the first cliff band at the base of the peak. With some care in route finding and a willingness to do some traversing beneath them, easy ways through each of the upper cliff bands can be found. I climbed via this route and did not need to climb any pitches in the II or III category.

Hut

The peak can be climbed in one day from either Kandersteg or Leukerbad, but some parties may want to stay at the Berghotel Schwarenbach if they do not already have lodging in a village, or perhaps just for the experience.