On this page you will find some information about the following summits:
> Monte Cocco, 1941m,
> Cima Bella / Schoenwipfel, 1911m,
> Monte Sagran / Sagranberg, 1922m,
> Starhand, 1968m,
> Monte Stabet, 1630 m.
Normally these summits would not get their own page. They are too humble and exceed only a little the main ridge of Carnic Alps. But they are so nice and popular (especially Cima Bella / Schoenwipfel) for tour skiing! In a high winter, when there's a lot of fresh snow and higher mountains are dangerous for ski tours, summits like these gain importance. On January 1st, 2005, for example, we came late, started to ascend around 11 am, but two hours later on the summit of Cima Bella / Schoenwipfel we still met some 15 skiers, enjoying warm sun and broad panorama.
On the map below, you can see that the main crest of Carnic Alps goes over Cima Bella / Schoenwipfel and Monte Sagran / Sagranberg, while Starhand stands north of it, and Monte Cocco south.
As said, these mountains are highly valued as ski goals and in summer of course also as hiking destinations. Because of many forrest roads also mountain biking should be great. Panoramas from their summits are very fine.
All four summits are easily accessible. High on these mountains forrest roads and cart-roads reach, too many to describe them all. See more information under Routes Overview chapter!
And there's the fifth mountain, worth of mentioning. On the very south of this group, above Val Kanale, Monte Stabet, 1630 m is rising. We ascended it one winter day, but were surprised with no view around. Unfortunately, we haven't visited Mezesnik alpine meadow, east of the summit, which must have some view around.
On the eastern slopes of MOnte Cocco, till mid 20th century a mine of iron, nickel and manganese was operating. In the village up to 200 people wele living. Today the whole infrastructure is closed.
Northern (Austrian) trailheads are in Gailtal / Ziljska dolina. Driving towards west from Villach, you reach villages: Vorderberg, Nampolach, Mellach and Moederndorf. In summer, from Moederndorf a road goes southwards and then eastwards on the terrace where Egger Alm and Lake lie. By it you reach the altitude of some 1400 m.
From the southern (Italian) side the best starting point is Valle di Ugovizza (valley), into which we drive from the Udine - Tarvisio - Villach highway from the village of Ugovizza / Ukve. This road is closed for public traffic on the altitude of 1210 m, at Rif. Nordio Deffar (hut). For Monte Cocco, Cima Bella and also Monte Sagran / Sagranberg we start our hike on 1130 m, at Osteria del Camosci, while for Starhand we need to go over the Lom saddle.
On the web, you can see a detailed map on: http://www.austrianmap.at/.
A very recommendable classical map is: Tabacco: Alpi Giulie Occidentali Tarvisiano, 1:25.000.
Because of so many forest and cart-roads there is a great variety of possible ascents on Cima Bella and other three summits. Below are just some most convenient.
1. From Osteria del Camosci, 1130 m. We go by forrest roads and meadows towards the W and NW. So we ascend the saddle (1814 m) between M. Cocco and Cima Bella. Then towards the south on the summit. This is also a nice and popular ski tour. We can ski down also by the E ridge and later towards the N on meadows.
2. Through Val Rauna. This is a side valley of Val di Ugovizza. A road (closed) deters from the main road over the creek (towards the NW) and into the valley some 2 km before Osteria del Camosci. We follow the road and marks No. 504 until on the altitude of 1400 m on the crossing we choose the right forrest road, which goes around the whole mountain and finishes on the altitude of some 1700 m. Then follow the W ridge to the summit.
3. From Osteria del Camosci, 1130 m. We go by forrest roads and meadows towards the W and NW. So we ascend the saddle (1814 m) between M. Cocco and Cima Bella. Then follow the ridge towards the N to the summit. This is also a nice and popular ski tour. We can ski down almost everywhere.
4. From Egger Alm, 1400 m. Go (or drive) till the eastern end of the terrace, to Dellacher Alm, 1365 m. There take the forrest road, marked with No. 403, which goes towards the SE, around the E ridge of Poludnik. On the other side, on 1476 m, leave the road and go southwards, crossing the creek, ascend on the other side on the road again and follow it towards the SE (no more marks), all the way to Forcella di Fontana Fredda / Kalten Brunner (saddle), 1693 m. Proceed towards the SW to the summit. Upper parts appropriate for skiing, below are forrest roads.
5. From Egger Alm, 1400 m. As on route #4 reach the Forcella di Fontana Fredda / Kalten Brunner (saddle), 1693 m. Follow the ridge towards the E to the summit. Upper parts appropriate for skiing, below are forrest roads. The other option is not to follow the road to the saddle, but to proceed from the point 1425 m (forrest hut) towards the E, by marks No. 403. So you reach Goertschacher Alm, proceed to the altitude of 1828 m below Starhand summit, and there turn south and ascend the highest point. Upper parts appropriate for skiing, below are forrest roads.
6. From Osteria del Camosci, 1130 m. Like #1 or #3 towards the west, but on the altitude of 1536 m follow the forrest road towards the N on the Forcella di Fontana Fredda / Kalten Brunner (saddle), 1693 m. Follow the ridge towards the E to the summit.
7. From Sella di Lom / Lomsattel, 1460 m. This saddle between Monte Sagran / Sagranberg and Ojstrnik / Oisternig you can't reach by car. But it can be reached by good marked paths either from south (Italy) or north (Austria). From the saddle follow the maked path (Traversata Carnica) No 403 towards the W and later towards the SW to the summit. By the E ridge it is also possible to ski down from the summit of Monte Sagran on Lom saddle.
8. From Egger Alm, 1400 m. As on route #5 reach the Goertschacher Alm and proceed towards the E on the summit. Also a ski tour.
9. From Sella di Lom / Lomsattel, 1460 m. As on route #7 go towards the W, but when reaching the S slopes of Starhand follow them towards the N to the summit. If on a ski tour, you can ski from the summit also down on Dolinza/Dolinca alpine meadow.
10. From Malborghetto (in Val Canale), 718 m. Till the first crossing you follow the road (closed for public traffic) into Vallone di Malborghetto, on the crossing you deter right and follow the mountain road until it reaches the forrested SE ridge of Stabet. Then in a few minutes on top. Some 3 h.
There are no limitations.
Any time of the season.
The ascent can be normally done in one day. In summer three huts are supporting outdoor activities around our four summits:
Dellacher Alm, 1362 m.
Koutschitzalm, 1100 m.
Starhand hut on Lom saddle, 1460 m, private. Opened from mid May or start June till end of October, 7+15 beds, tel.: 04283/2004.
Guidebook and photomonography (in Slovenian): V. Pogačnik: Kar na Karnijce. Založba Narava, 2011.