La Alcazaba

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.06723°N / 3.30122°W
Additional Information County: Spain
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10827 ft / 3300 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

I'M ACTUALLY WAITING FOR GOOD QUALITY PHOTOS FOR THIS PAGE. PLEASE, BE PATIENT. IF YOU NEED SPECIFIC INFO OVER THIS MOUNTAIN FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME...

La Alcazaba is the hidden mountain of Sierra Nevada. It is further away than any other mountain of the range and, therefore, more difficult to reach than any other. Its roughed shape on many faces (specially to the north, with a very characteristic spur) makes it even more attractive. Maybe because this unaccesible position and shape the name 'alcazaba', wich comes from the arabic meaning 'the castle' or 'frotress'.

Nevertheless, La Alcazaba is easy to achieve from the south. There are gentle soft slopes which reache easily the top. The approach is long too, and many of the mountaineers make it in two days.

Routes Overview

As said before, this mountain offers routes of access of many different levels of difficulty. Here a general overview of the most popular ones:

- normal: over the south slope

- Espolón de la Alcazaba: from the north, follows a very defined spur on its north face, with some pases of III grade (mostly II)

Access to the mountain

The closest city to La Alcazaba is Granada. This city has an international airport connected, mostly, with Europe. But, this airport is very limited compared to the airport of Málaga. The international airport of Málaga is connected with many flights with all Europe.

From both airports there are busses to reach the cities. Málaga airport is connected with a bus to the center of the city (bus station) and from here there are many busses to the city of Granada. Once in Granada you can approach the 'sierra' (mountain range) with a public bus to the ski station of Pradollano or to the southern side of the range (Las Alpujarras). From Las Alpujarras or Pradollano (sky resort) you could start your approach to the mountain itself.

Camping

There is a mountain hut relatively close to the mountain. It is the 'Refugio del Poqueira'. It's a guarded hut, with many facilities. Nevertheless, this hut is not exactly very close to La Alcazaba. The mountain itself has NO mountain huts in the nearby area.

Part of Sierra Nevada range is a National Park. Setting a tent in the area of the National Park is forbidden. Nevertheless, it's allowed to pitch a tent for the night (one hour before the sunset) and has to be taken in the morning (one hour after the sunrise).

Mountain guides in Sierra Nevada

English and Dutch speaking official mountain guide (member of UIMLA):
Jon Sanz Mountain Guide

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.