OverviewLa Luette is a very popular mountain that is located between de Val de Bagnes and the Val d’Hérémence.
From the summit you have a beautiful view towards the more famous Pigne d'Arolla
, Mont Blanc de Cheilon
and La Ruinette
La Luette is often climbed in half a day from the Cabane des Dix. In both spring and summer. In summer
, the climb from the Cabane des Dix is not very difficult and very short for a mountain of this height. The climb is often used as an acclimatisation tour for the bigger mountains around the Cabane des Dix. In winter
La Luette is a fine and easy goal for tour skiing. The ski tour from the Cabane des Dix is south orientated and not very steep. Due to several popular ski tours around the Cabane des Dix, the hut is also busy in spring time.
The combination between of a an pretty easy climb and beautiful view from the summit makes La Luette a mountain worth visiting.
Getting ThereIn general:
To Sion: see the excellent Mont Blanc de Cheilon page
*By Car: From Sion in the Rhône Valley, advance to Val d'Herens, Les Haudères and then to Arolla.
*Public Transport: The nearest trainstation is in Sion (about 40km away), from Sion you'll have to take the bus that leads to the village. (See link at the bottom for a Time Tabel)
To the Dix dam
*By Car: From A9 take exit Sion-Est, then follow Vex-Hérémence-Pralong.
*By Bus: The nearest trainstation is in Sion, from Sion you'll have to take the bus that leads to the Dix Dam. (See link at the bottom for a Time Tabel)
To the Cabana des Dix:
Thanks to Fred Spicker
* From the Dix-Stausee (Val d'Hérémence): In 3 h from the dam wall (570 m gain). A cable car (phone: ++41(0)272811282) goes from the parking place Le Chargeur (2141m) to the dam (2365m) or hike 40 min. From there, you follow the road to the E-side of the lake to the S-end (P. 2386m). A trail goes over the "Pas du Chat" around the NW-end of the Luette and above the glacier tongue on the left moraine to the rock shelf Tête Noire. After that, you go to the left and up to the hut. This way is NOT recommended during winter because of avalanche danger.
* From Arolla: In 3 h, 1000 m gain. The road goes to the uppermost chalets of Arolla (about 2120m); then a private road to the Alm La Remointse (2409m). The cable cars in winter go up to 2450 m. From Arolla you go 45 min. on a road via the cable car region to Remointse and further on a very well marked hiking trail heading east to the Pas du Chèvres, the lowest saddle in the crest between Mont Rouges and the Pointes de Tsena Refien (1 h). Then you climb over 2 vertical ladders about 30 m down a rock face and traverse on trail to the S to the Cheilon Glacier. You traverse this glacier in SW-direction to the Tête Noire. Afterwards, you climb up about 100hm on the trail from the Dix-reservoir to the hut (45 min.). This is the normal winter ascent (3h from Arolla)
RoutesNormal route from the Cabane des Dix:
As mentioned before, La Luette is a popular mountain. The normal route to the summit from the Cabane des Dix is an easy glacier walk (pay attention for crevasses!). From the Cabane des Dix go NW and follow the track to the glacier de la Luette. At about 3500 meters you reach the Southridge that leads to the summit (easy scrambling).
The climb takes about 2-3 hours in normal conditions.
Alpine difficulty grade: Facile/Leicht.
Maps and GuidebooksMaps:
* SAC MAP: Nr. 283 Arolla, 1:50000
* SAC MAP: Nr. 1347 Matterhorn and 1346 Chanrion, 1:25000
* Maurice Brandt , Walliser Alpen 2, SAC Clubführer. Oder at: Webshop SAC-CAS
* Philippe Metzker, Ski alpin 3 / Alpes valaisannes, SAC Skitourenführer. Order at: Webshop SAC-CAS
External LinksDigital Map:
Cabana des Dix/Dix hut:
Webpage Cab des Dix
Bus Time Tabel
Weather in Switzerland:
Avalance bulletin Switzerland: