Viewing: 1-7 of 7
csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Mar 28, 2006 4:43 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Overview

I noticed this area when I summited Observatory Point a few years ago.

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 28, 2006 4:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent TR!

Great write-up. That lower bolt on the first tech. section must be new - I only remember the higher bolt.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Mar 28, 2006 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent TR!

Yes- the bolt looked new. Not necessary, but nice. Saves putting some nuts or cams in I guess.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Mar 30, 2006 8:22 am - Hasn't voted

Nice TR...

...and awesome pictures.

But there's no way that first technical section can be any more than class 4--there are absolutely *huge* holds there. (They're a very pleasant surprise, because the overhang looks intimidating at first). And the second has so little exposure that to even call it 5th class is a bit of a stretch. It's kind of a bouldering move. IMO, that move itself couldn't be any more than 5.4 or so, at most... a bit awkward, but there are decent holds, and the downclimb is even easier than the climb up.

tanya

tanya - Nov 24, 2007 2:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Best View in Zion!

Very nice trip report and photos!

Mrjohn2u - Jul 18, 2009 12:32 am - Hasn't voted

Old timer

I climbed Lady Mountain in 1969 in a t-shirt, shorts and some worn out tennis shoes. I remember that there were still some chains and at least one ladder. Coming down was a challenge even then since the markings were only designed to going up. Enjoyed your current description. Too bad it is not maintained, it reduces those who can see the full beauty of Zion

klimbien

klimbien - May 7, 2017 12:09 am - Hasn't voted

A few thoughts.

A few thoughts, just to clarify any confusion if your researching the route on other websites.
-Get off shuttle or park at the Lodge. Head slightly south to bridge over the river.
-Once across the bridge, the trail comes to a "T", Head south (Go Left). Other sites say follow signs to the middle Emerald pool Trail (which goes Right), I do not recommend this way.
-Follow the horse trail a few minutes and you'll come to a trail that as of 5/2017 has a sign that says the trail is closed branching off to the Right. Go up this trail. It has been washed out. many trees have fallen over the trail.
-Continue on the trail until you come to the sign warning of "DO NOT ROLL ROCKS", pass sign as many descriptions advise, look for an "obvious" climber trail going up hill (Left).
-Trail was fairly straight forward. We moved thru the various obstacles with little trouble. A 70 foot rope is plenty long. After passing 1 or 2 steep section and had moved to the far southern point of the trail, mid way up the trail we got lost and had to back track just prior to the last and most committing climbing section, just before the "endless staircase".
-The trail goes up a gully and amidst our conversation we followed the gully to the top, passing the appropriate turn towards the endless staircase. See Picture marked "Don't go this way" Instead head West (Right) uphill out of the gully and in 50 yards or so you'll come to the final steep obstacle. Many painted (though faded) arrows, cairns, and carved foot steps will lead the way.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Lady Mountain-Old Cable Route' main page