Lakes Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.04870°N / 7.01900°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start point is Retournemer lake

- From Colmar to Collet with the road D 417 over Munster and Schlucht collar. At Le Collet, turn leftD 34 and after 3 km right to Retournemer Lake. Park before the lake on the left.

- From Gérardmer D 417 to Xonrupt Longemer. Take D 67 on the right, follow the Longemer Lake and reach higher the Retournemer Lake.

Overview


This tour is not described in any walking guide of the region. It is an exclusiveness on SummitPost !
The tour of the Lake Valley makes you discover the west face of the Hohneck in the french "departement" Vosges but does'nt reach the summit. Surprising views over the Lakes Longemer and Retournemer. You are often alone on the steep paths of this tour and this contrasts with the busy lake banks of Longemer on week-ends. I advise you against realizing this walk on sunday.


Route Description


RETOURNEMER LAKE - COL DES FEIGNES - BOULE DU DIABLE - COL DE FACHEPREMONT - ROCHE DES VIEUX CHEVAUX - LONGEMER - LES CHARBONNIERES - ROCHE BOULARD - COL DE LA BRANDE - BELLE ROCHE - COL DES HARENGS MARINES - COL DE MALAKOFF - ROCHE DU DIABLE - RETOURNEMER LAKE (5 - 6 h)

From your park, 200 meters before Retournemer, take the path marked with blue disks to Feignes Collar (955 m). 100 m before the collar, turn right (yellow discs) : nice traverse with views over the lake valley. After 1/2 h, turn left to the Boule du Diable, 1098 m (the Devil's bowl), a big rock in the forest. Follow right the red discs to Fachepremont Collar. Nice peat bogs. At the collar, turn right (red triangles) to the Roche des Vieux Chevaux (Old horses Rock, 894 m). Amazing view over the Longemer Lake, 160 meters below. Follow the red triangles steep down to the lake. Turn left and follow the lake to the car park of domaine de Longemer. Cross the road and follow the blue discs. The path climbs steep in the Brande Forest. Nice views from Roche Boulard (shelter). Continue along the blue discs on the forest track to Brande Collar (1035 m). Don't miss on the right the detour to Belle Roche (10 mn, nice view, yellow discs). Come back to the forest track. You reach the Col des Harengs Marinés (Marinated Herrings Collar !) and the Col de Malakoff. Follow righ the yellow discs to Roche du Diable (Devil's Rock). When you reach the road walk the road down on 200 m. On Devil's Rock nice views (the Devil's Rock is unfortunately a busy tourist stop on the road Gerardmer -Schlucht). Continue steep down the path which begins 50 m before the Devil's Rock to Retournemer Lake and your startpoint.


Essential Gear


Telescopic sticks are usefull


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

VosgesRoutes
 
HohneckRoutes