Lamont Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Matt Worster

Matt Worster - Apr 24, 2006 12:17 am - Voted 10/10

Nice job

I always like your shaded tables in the route section. It's a very nice touch. I added 2 lowish quality images and will look around for some better ones.

artirm

artirm - Aug 4, 2013 6:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Trails of Lamont

I thought that could be helpful.

There are three trails merging at near the summit of Lamont. One comes from the TH at the Canebrake road, one from PCT and one directly from south. All are marked with cairns and don't seem much different up at the top. Fore somebody coming from the road the other two trails are not easy to spot.
Summit register is perched atop a prominent rock formation, with summit made up by two pillars just 50-60 feet apart, separated by a notch 20-30 ft deep. The trail from the road comes in between these two pillars and then climbs to the register. To get to the trail to PCT you need to descend down the pillar and then keep going down and left (skier's left), skirting around the other pillar and staying more or less within the arm reach of the rock. Most likely you will see cairns. Once on a small scree field, you'll will see cairns leading directly down south. I have no clue were this trial is going. To get to PCT you need to find you way up through the bushes to the top of the ridge going SE. There is an old fire ring right under the base of the summit rock, and another set of cairns leading to PCT.
Trail to PCT is first very faint with cairns visible here and there, then it gets better. I'm sure it was maintained at some point - there are trees cleared with chain saw and and sings of trail reinforcement. It remains easily visible all the way to PCT. It does not climb up the ridge to the highest point, but stays at about the same altitude, going on the northern slope of what should have been a Lamont Peak.
Going from PCT there is no problem finding the trail. So, to complicate matters, somebody blocked it with twigs and branches couple of hundred feet away from PCT junction. Don't be confused.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Lamont Peak' main page