Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Dean

Dean - Apr 29, 2008 10:34 am - Voted 10/10

Great info

Superb job on this relatively unknown mountain. Now I want to climb it which is a tribute to the amount of good information you provide. Another one is added to my "to do" list.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - May 3, 2008 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great info

Is your "to do" list getting longer or shorter?

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 2, 2008 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

second to last chance

We have a "Last Chance Range" not too far away in NV -- that name is probably peppered throughout the west! I often drive by this "other" range on my way to DV.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - May 3, 2008 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: second to last chance

From the looks of it, I think I prefer the CA Last Chance. It at least has a few trees.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 4, 2008 12:32 am - Voted 10/10

Re: second to last chance

What? You don't consider creosote to be a tree?

The CA peak looks like a greater test of your car and driving skills. ;^)

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 24, 2013 1:05 pm - Voted 10/10

The DPS trailhead

I took the road into the DPS trailhead (NOT the one described by Dennis), in my 2003 outback with 7.3" clearance (but with skid plates). That was a bit of a challenge; the last 0.3 miles has a section on a steep hill that dips to the east. The road is narrow, partly eroded on the east (downhill) side in little scary notches, and has big humps on the west (uphill) side, due to rockslides from above. Even though you don't have to go over as many lumps to get to the top, the starting point is at 5800', substantially lower than the sulphur mine trailhead.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Last Chance Mountain' main page