Viewing: 1-5 of 5
imontop

imontop - Jul 19, 2011 10:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Very interesting

Where did you find out the name? I've looked for the cabin three times, twice in the fall, and once in the spring, and I haven't been able to find it. Great addition to SP. It's nice to see some of these little known peaks. We need to hook up sometime and bag a peak man!

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Jul 20, 2011 9:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting

I found the cabin by going up in the winter when you can see through the trees! Problem is it's not .71 miles like it says on LocalHikes website, it's 1.71 miles. Directions are incredibly easy; 1st overlook is near the Oblisk, follow trail to 2nd overlook (big rock/tree/nice view), continue up traverse and RIGHT BEFORE you go steep again the Stone Cabin will be in the forest (slightly down hill about 100 yards) to your right.

Got the name from a Geocache located on the summit...sounded pretty appropiate to me!

imontop

imontop - Jul 20, 2011 6:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very interesting

Ok, got another dumb question...where's the Oblisk? Is that where you start climbing up into the little draw on the north side of the Nipple? And you're saying the 2nd overlook is the top of the ridge that is the north side of the little draw, right?

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting

I think you are right on the "2nd Overlook" ("1st Overlook" is next to Oblisk--very obvious place to take a break!). The Oblisk is a stone post about 4 foot high directly across the small valley (north) from the Nipple on the straight part of the trail...it's about half-way through the hike. I tossed a map onto the webpage (most people don't get my directions as I tend to name places after great places to take breaks!)

imontop

imontop - Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very interesting

Gotcha. You are very detailed, I'll give you that. I added a picture I had taken of the Nipple from my last trip up Layton Peak. I'll have to go bag this one. Great page again man!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to '"Layton Nipple" 6689' main page