Licancabur Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
mdou

mdou - Dec 15, 2014 4:18 pm Date Climbed: Mar 10, 2014

Simple walk  Sucess!

Cute volcano. I decided to climb it when I saw it. Overshot and reached the top an hour before sunrise. No snow but cold at night. There was a frozen pond in the crater. Loved the weird landscape.

matthias.pabst

matthias.pabst - Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm Date Climbed: Jan 22, 2014

Normal Route  Sucess!

Very nice views from the top. Does anyone know what the two volcanoes on the Chilean side are called? Is it San Pedro and San Pablo?

bennovak

bennovak - Dec 26, 2012 8:21 pm Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2012

Standard Route  Sucess!

Not really a trail, more of a long uphill hike over talus and scree. Working with the Bolivian park rangers makes a bit of a challenge too, but the views and a visit to the lake up top make it all worth it!

FrançoisJ

FrançoisJ - Oct 8, 2010 5:57 pm Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2004

normal from Bolivia  Sucess!

circled the crater rim

monkeypike

monkeypike - Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am Date Climbed: Jun 28, 2010

Normal Route  Sucess!

Cycled up to Laguna Blanca from San Pedro. Incredibly strong winds from Laguna Blanca to Laguna Verde where we left our bikes in some ruins and walked up to the Inca ruins. Summit day was also very windy but with stunning views of the Lagunas. From the ruin to the summit took 4hr 45mins. The route is easy to follow and no guide is neccessary.
http://pikesonhikes.blogspot.com/2010/07/volcan-licancabur-potosi-region-bolivia.html

PAROFES

PAROFES - May 27, 2010 10:26 am Date Climbed: Mar 10, 2010

Finaly  Sucess!

i did it!
One nighjt at the shelter than i went up, it took me 5 hours to the summit, on a great day!

Baarb

Baarb - Apr 19, 2010 7:01 pm Date Climbed: Apr 17, 2010

Crikey!  Sucess!

Headed out from the Laguna Blanca hospedaje/hotel/refugio at 4 am with Pablo our Bolivian guide (making his 157th odd summit) and 4 friends, drove to the end of the road at 4600 m and headed up the normal route to the top in around 5 hrs 45 mins. Lost 2 people on the way up and got some AMS myself at around 5500m but pushed on. Down the debris avalanche slope and back to the road terminus in 3 hours. Weather was pretty warm as far as these things go with light winds, great views all around.

chris_goulet

chris_goulet - Jun 10, 2008 5:12 pm Date Climbed: Mar 22, 1993

Route Climbed: Normal, NE slope  Sucess!

Mountain-biked to Licancabur from Calama, Chile with Jürgen Langensteiner from Austria. Continued solo by bicycle to Sabaya, Bolivia (close to Oruro) for a total of three weeks of human-powered exhilaration in this leg of a four-month journey.

Trip report posted at:
www.nucleus.com/~gouletc/01-Exhilarating_Freedom_in_the_Andes.htm
Exhilarating Freedom in the Andes

Fabrice.Rimlinger

Fabrice.Rimlinger - Nov 11, 2006 4:37 pm Date Climbed: Dec 22, 2005

Normal route  Sucess!

D1 walked from Laguna blanca refuge to the ruines (5000m).
D2 summit in 3h and back to laguna blanca... the bus was waiting !
Great view.

Uwe Kraus

Uwe Kraus - Dec 8, 2005 4:06 pm

Route Climbed: Normal Date Climbed: February 1995  Sucess!

My first journey to South America I made with the DAV Summit Club, a German travel agency. With a group of 21 people we intended to climb the highest (but extinct) volcano all over the world, the 6.893 m high Ojos del Salado. From La Paz first we went by bus and then by train (approx. 530 km) to Uyuni. Here we switched to jeeps and rode over 2000 km over the Altiplano and reached then the driest desert all over the world, the Atacama. After the climb to Ojos del Salado we went further to the south. In Caldera we switched to a bus to Santiago de Chile and covered the last 835 kilometres of our trip.





On he way to the Atacama Desert we climbed Tapaquillcha, 5.758 m and Licancabur 5.868 m for acclimatisation.

Guillaume.Ceyrac

Guillaume.Ceyrac - Aug 22, 2005 9:56 am

Route Climbed: Macario Route Date Climbed: July 2004  Sucess!

Climbed with PO, Eric, Sebastien and Macario. Perfect weather but very cold until the sun came up. We made it in 6 hours and it took us an hour and a half to get back. Beautiful views from the top. Unforgotable experience and lots of fun with Macario (was it its 250th climb or 245th ?) !

Bergrot

Bergrot - Jul 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Route Climbed: normal Date Climbed: 23 Dec 2004  Sucess!

Climbed Licancabur with two Austrians and a Bolivian guide. Stayed in the refugio at the Laguna Blanca. It's possible to climb without a guide, but you shouldn't tell this to the locals. I didn't know this before.

Walk up on the solid ridge above the inca ruin and run down in the dusty scree in the gully.

Views from the summit to the Llullaillaco 230 km away.

bluescrummachine

bluescrummachine - May 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Route Climbed: Standard Date Climbed: January 2003  Sucess!

Climb served as a 'warm-up' for Ojos del Salado.

Stayed at the refugio at the Laguna Blanca. From there we drove by jeep to the foot of Licancabur. I think we started at around 5 o'clock to climb and reached the summit around noon. Nice 'warm-up' with beautiful view of Laguna Verde from top. Descent very fast by sliding down the 'sandy'/ashy slopes.

hyperbolictans

hyperbolictans - May 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Route Climbed: Standard Date Climbed: 27th May 2005  Sucess!

Took me 7hrs to summit. I am definitely not as tough as CBakwin and bro =) Wonderful view of Laguna Blanca and Verde. Although pretty acclimatizd after spending more than a week on the altiplano, I developed a bad cough two days before the climb and was gasping for air at every other step up the mountain above 5000m. Climbed with guide Bernardo, who seems to be in residence at the refugio by laguna blanca runned by Colque tours.

CBakwin

CBakwin - Mar 1, 2005 12:08 pm

Route Climbed: Standard Date Climbed: 1/24/2005  Sucess!

climbed this with my brother on my birthday. Do it, it's a blast.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Licancabur' main page