Lime Creek Peaks

Lime Creek Peaks

A nice lineup of 12ers in the Holy Cross Wilderness. Lime Creek and the aptly named Strawberry Lake are below. Avalanche Peak is on the right and is the only named peak in the group. These are among the best and possibly least climbed peaks of the Sawatch. 7-24-2006.
Colonelpyat
on Jan 25, 2007 9:43 am
Image ID: 264118

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Kane

Kane - Jan 27, 2007 3:49 am - Voted 10/10

Another great shot.

The beauty on the left with the snow couloirs that form a cross is called UN12,977, a ranked twlever that goes by the cool name "Hammer Peak." To the right of Hammer is a ranked twelver called UN12,973. The bad ass looking peak in the center is the ranked 12,980.

Jim, I'm up for a ridge run like that one. Looks alot like the Gore's.

Colonelpyat

Colonelpyat - Jan 27, 2007 9:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another great shot.

Thanks Kane. I bet we could get that ridge done from a camp at Fairview or Strawberry Lake. Also worth looking at is twisting ridge that drops from 12,980 to the lake.

Kane

Kane - Jan 27, 2007 4:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Another great shot.

Holy crap. I didn't even notice that twisty ridge! Looks impressive. I'll mark this one down on the list attached to my wall of maps.

What time of year did you shoot this photo? Seems there may be some managable snow couloirs that could aid in gaining the ridge from down in there.

Colonelpyat

Colonelpyat - Feb 6, 2007 12:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another great shot.

This was the last week in July. The snow idea is good because the talus back there is bad and the fourth class willows are worse. The downside is that Lime Creek is one of the worst swamps I've seen and if there's much snow melting going on it's going to be real messy getting around. There might be some big cornice complications too.

Daveatpark

Daveatpark - Jan 10, 2016 2:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another great shot.

Hi Kane,
Just a note about a photograph you posted a number of years ago. I worked with COBS in this area in 1972 and 3 and was asked to name peaks we climbed in area. I named a number but this one seemed to stick. However I do not think it is the one you picked out with the cross of snow couloirs, but the one in the centre of the photograph with the long curving ride that leads to the summit. It was along time ago but I am sure it was the ridge I climbed. It was easy angled and the others look too steep to have taken a large party of students on what might have been a first ascent.

JonBradford

JonBradford - Sep 2, 2010 9:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for submitting this photo.

It is beautiful and inspirational Jim.

JHH60

JHH60 - Nov 5, 2012 5:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Hammer and Sickle

As a teen 35 years ago, in a Colorado Outward Bound class, I climbed a nearly 13K' peak in the Holy Cross Wilderness that the instructors called "Hammer Peak" and which looks like UN12,977. The COBS classes in the Sawatch range made this area a standard part of their curriculum back in the late 70s. There was a curving ridge nearby which they called "Sickle Ridge," and which looks like the one from UN12,980, but I can't remember if we climbed it. I wasn't used to alpine starts at the time and I remember the Hammer climb as cold and exposed! I'd love to go back and climb it again...

Daveatpark

Daveatpark - Jun 29, 2015 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hammer and Sickle

I was an instructor for COBS in 1972 and 73 and we worked in the Holy Cross wilderness. The Forestry people asked us to name any of the un named peaks that we climbed. I climbed with students and named Hammer peak that year . I also named the ridge that we climbed by Sickle Ridge. I had heard a rumour years later that the name had been accepted but was never sure until I looked it up on a whim just now. 35 years ago would make that 1979 so you could not have been one of my students.

Daveatpark

Daveatpark - Jan 10, 2016 2:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Hammer and Sickle

It has taken me a while but I have been looking at the photograph at the top of the page and I think that the peak I climbed with my students and named hammer is the one in the middle wit the long curving ridge going up to the summit. It is therefore not the one with cross of snow on it.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9