Little North Fork Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.40100°N / 123.2145°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To reach the Little North Fork Trail head, drive highway 3 from yreka about 27 miles to Etna. Veer right onto Main street, and after about half a mile turn right onto Collier Way which turns into Sawyer's Bar Road. Follow this for approximately 28.5 miles and half a mile after crossing the little north fork of the Salmon River turn right onto 40N51. Proceed uphill on this gravel road for 2.5 miles to the trailhead parking area on the right. To the right of the trailhead is gated road 40N45. walk down this about half a mile to a junction with the Little North Fork trail, and turn left onto the trail, which at this point is an old logging road.

Route Description

After the first mile, the trail crosses Sur Cree Creek, and then fords the Little North Fork. The next 2 1/2 miles follow the east bank of the Little North Fork through a forest which was burned in a 1994 fire. At the 4 mile mark, the trail enters the Marble Mountain Wilderness and crosses Uncle's Creek. After another 2 Miles, the trail passes a gate and a Junction with the Devil's Canyon Trail on the left. Keep right here, following a sign for Hamilton Camp. Half a mile Later turn right at a trail junction. The next 2.5 miles switchback up to a ridge wher there is a 4 - way trail junction. The trail to the left leads to Hamilton Camp, and the trail straight ahead (slightly left) leads to Pine Lake where there are numerous places to camp. Take a right at this junction, and half a mile later you will come to the historic Tom Taylor Cabin. Continue through this "meadow muffin" filled meadow another half mile to a junction on a ridge, and turn right for 0.4 mile to the summit lookout.

The total distance one-way is 11.5 miles
The elevation gain is approximately 4900 feet

Essential Gear

None needed


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.