Little Sandy/South Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.70800°N / 109.128°W
Additional Information Route Type: Wilderness Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


a) From the Sweetwater trailhead take the Little Sandy trail over the divide to Little Sandy lake. Descend and cross the outlet. Ascend above and west of the lake to continue up the gorge. After a total of 7.5 miles a meadow is reached below Coon Col on the divide. Base here or finish climbing the Class 2+ talus ramp/chute above to Coon Lake to shorten the summit day. This would be the most expedient route to someone who is already familiar with the Little Sandy gorge. There is a shorter access to Little Sandy lake directly up the Little Sandy River on the west side of the divide but the roads are 4wd, unmarked and the trail undeveloped.

b) From the Sweetwater trailhead take the Sweetwater Gap trail through the gap. On descent to the north from the gap a use trail branches off to Poison Lake. At Poison Lake follow the Tayo trail upstream to Tayo Lake. Total distance about 10 miles.

Route Description


From Coon Lake contour around a shoulder to Tayo Lake. From Tayo Lake the long south slopes are climbed to the now visible summit. The slopes from Tayo lake to the top are possibly the most common ascent route with hikers sometimes reaching Tayo lake from Bruce trailhead some 20 miles distant.

Essential Gear


Full backpacking gear. DEET. For anglers, the mountain fishing in these two areas is world class.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.