Loveland Ski Area

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.69390°N / 105.92004°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Loveland Ski Area: From Denver, Take I-70 West approximately 53 miles to the Loveland Ski Area. Follow the signs to the main parking area at the base of Loveland Pass. Golden Bear Peak can also be accessed from the Dry Gulch Trailhead, which is located on the N. side of I-70, also at the Loveland Ski Area exit.

Route Description

From the Loveland Ski Area's main parking lot, hike north through the tunnel under I-70 and ascend under Chair Lift # 8 to the blue run called "Awesome". The summit lies to the north.

Roundtrip: Approximately 4 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 2,000

Red Tape

I have received varying information from the ski area as to whether or not it is permissible to park in their lot and skin up the ski area to the outer boundaries of the resort during ski season. An E-mail that I received stated that it is not permissible; however a conversation with a Loveland employee stated that is permitted. Please verify for yourself if you plan to ascend Golden Bear from the ski area. Loveland Ski Area can be reached at 303-569-3203.

This route can be hiked without obstruction when Loveland Ski Area is no longer in operation for the season.

More information courtesy of SP user Bill Reed:

"Uphill Access" is a public right but the pathway of access is designated by the ski area, specifically, the "Ski Patrol". The path can be moved due to area maintenance and the ranger I spoke with suggested checking with the patrol to locate the current access path.
The parking lot is open to the public with no restrictions.
For further questions-District office phone # is 303-567-3000

and relevant information added by Steven Cross:

Loveland Pass is covered with signs along the road that say, "No Parking". When the ski area parking is closed the closest one could park is just off the ramp coming off of I-70. From here you can walk along the road to the ski area.

External Links

Loveland Ski Area Web Cams



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.