Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.85837°N / 0.35041°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9272 ft / 2826 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

LurienLurien

The peak Lurien (or le Lurien) is one of the most important mountains between the valleys of Ossau and Azun in french Pyrenees. In this area, at north of Port du Portalet, there are two large massifs, the eastern with the mountains of Gourette (Ger, Gabizos) to the imposing Pallas and the western with a great mountain, the Lurien, with powerful buttresses that are elevated on the lakes of Artouse (east) and Fabrèges (west), converting to this peak in one of the most beatiful of the valley of Ossau.
Midi d Ossau and LurienOssau & Lurien

Its privileged locating does that be a marvelous observatory of both nearby valleys and of some of the most precious mountains of the Pyrenees as Midi d' Ossau, Arriel, Palas or Balaitous. Of course so important nearby mountains do that occupy a position after them in the list of peaks that a mountaineer desires to climb and be less known, but, in spite of fact, it can be assured that in this zone only the peak Arriel surpasses him in views since the top. It is insurance that will not defraud the mountaineers specially when the snow covers their hard ramps that give access to their final ridge.
LurienLurien

Thanks to the nature some of the prettiest mountains of the zone, Midi d'Ossau (2885m), Arriel (2824m), Palas (2974m) or Lurien (2826m) they do not reach the 3000 meters and except for the mythical Midi d'Ossau they permit to the mountaineers to be moved away of the conglomerations of the three-thousands and to enjoy the high mountain surrounded by a few of people privileged.

Getting There

Lac de FabrègesFabrèges

Trailhead of normal route: lake of Fabrèges

From Spain:
-From Jaca, important village at NW of province of Huesca, take the road N-330 to Sabiñanigo and N-260 to north to Puerto del Portalet to enter in France. We descent the road in direction to the village of Gabas. Before Gabas we'll see the signal of desviation to enter to the Lac de Fabrèges and the cableway and train of Artouste.
LurienLurien


From France:
-From Pau we'll take south direction across D-934 in direction to the area of Gourette. In Laruns we go to south to Eaux Bonnes, Eauax Chaudes and Gabas. In Gabas we'll take the road of Portalet and the Lac of Fabrèges it's very nearby.

Red Tape

Lurien, Pallas and Balaitous

Lurien it's in the National Park of Pyrenees with rules about wildlife. Not permits.

Camping

The camping it's not allowed, the route is long but it's climbed normally in only one day. To lodge you have campings, hotels,... in the many villages of the area.

The little train of Artouste

Lac d ArtousteLac d'Artouste

"Le Petit Train d'Artouste"
Lac de Fabrèges & Train of ArtousteTrain of Artouste

In the lake of Fabrèges it's located one of the tourist attraction of the zone. With the cableway we can reach the station of this little train. Paying you can go to the area of Lake of Artouste under the east face of Lurien in a nice place. The landscape is interesting but it's a lot better to climb the Lurien. For your friends tourists who don't climb it can be a good option to pass the day while they expect your descent of the mountain. It is not very useful to climb the Lurien but is possible to use the train for reduce the slope although is obliged the descent by the normal route of the west (is very difficult to reach the train in the schedule permitted).

Link to official web (French and Spanish)

External Links

  • F.Bres interesting pictures of the normal route of Lurien from Fabrèges.
  • Pyrenees-team information about Lurien and mountains of area (french)
  • pbase images of valley of Ossau


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pyrénées: BéarnMountains & Rocks