Viewing: 1-11 of 11
lisae

lisae - Apr 28, 2010 4:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Looks

like fun to me. Your photos are great!

Asphazell

Asphazell - Apr 28, 2010 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Intense

I used to love spelunking when I was younger and some of your pictures remind me of the tight squeezes. Not sure if I would make it through some of these areas you guys went to, but looks really fun! Good report!

goofball

goofball - Apr 28, 2010 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

welcome to canyoneering

its pretty fun. south maidenwater was one of the funnest canyons i've done, i got lucky and hit it right after rains and had quite a few swims. LOVE 'em when they're wet !

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 30, 2010 10:17 am - Voted 10/10

Good TR

Nice write-up and photos, Kevin. It looks like you guys had a terrific time! I can't entirely agree with "Canyoneering is a bit more laid back than mountaineering as you get to enjoy later starts and the cardio fitness needed is minimal as there is a lot of waiting around going on" though. That might be applicable to beginner-level canyoneering but more difficult canyoneering is just that ~ more difficult. The canyons can be extremely exhausting and challenging on many levels. I've done many canyons that were 12-15+ hour days and left me whipped.

shknbke

shknbke - Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good TR

Very true indeed, CP. I'll change the comment to refer to beginner canyons. I can't imagine doing some of those R rated canyons. Very physically exhausting!

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 30, 2010 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Good TR

Yep, some R canyons can be pretty spicy. And then there are the X canyons!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 30, 2010 2:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report

Good to see some canyoneering TR's. By the way, by "thigh belay" do you mean spotting someone with your hand on her thigh?

shknbke

shknbke - Apr 30, 2010 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Report

That's right. It actually works quite well, especially for a married couple!

Props

Props - May 2, 2010 3:45 pm - Voted 10/10

I liked...

your trip report and the photos as well. It's always hard to photograph those slots with so little light etc.

Adayak

Adayak - May 4, 2010 9:26 am - Hasn't voted

great!

Awesome trip report - reminded me of an episode of Man vs. Wild. I think Bear was in that same Canyon.

DeTwizzle - Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Tight Squeeze

This is a super fun slot, and super narrow. I really would not suggest doing this canyon for your first slot, and if you're claustrophobic forget about it. This thing is narrow and when I say narrow I mean it, and it doesnt let up for a longgg ways.
I was with a good friend and it wasnt that bad until he came to the narrowest point and started to have trouble squeezing through...he is 190lbs and I'm 225lbs(6'-4" tall) with a chest circumference of 41in on a good day. All in all, if you're any bigger than me good luck, bc my chest barely made it through. Stick to the east wash for the bigger framed individuals... take my word on it. =)

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Maidenwater & Leprechaun Canyons: Intro to Technical Canyoneering' main page