Malta Rock Climbing

Malta Rock Climbing

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Introduction

Jan rappels to the base of the Munxar Valley crags
Jan rappels to the base of the Munxar Valley crags
By the end of 2016, Jan and I wanted to go climbing somewhere. That meant heading south, to a place with a warmer climate and more daylight. And so, by December, we traveled to Malta, a country that neither of us had been to before. There is a ferry service from Italy, but most visitors arrive by plane using the good connections with many other European cities, and so did we.

Malta is a small country located in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, south of Italy and not all that far from Africa. The islands are quite densely populated, especially the area around the capital of Valleta, but some parts of the islands are too rugged to be developed, and that's where you'll find the scenic sea cliffs, wild ravines and steep escarpments that brought us here, offering many traditional and bolted climbing routes.

We climbed both on the main island of Malta and on the second largest island of Gozo (or Ghawdex as it is called in the local Maltese language). After a week and a half of rock climbing I can safely say that we've left enough routes unclimbed to come back for many more years.

Church of St. Gregory the Great
There are churches all over the place, many seemingly much to big for their village. This is the Church of St. Gregory the Great, the parish church in Kercem, Gozo

Tree houseleek (Aeonium arboreum) near the summit of Ta'Għammar
Tree houseleek
(Aeonium arboreum)
Greater Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus subsp. tortuosum)
Greater Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus subsp. tortuosum)
Bermuda Buttercup (Oxalis pes-caprae)
Bermuda Buttercup (Oxalis pes-caprae)


Azure Window
The Azure Window, one of the most iconic natural sites in Malta. It's gone now - just a couple of months after our visit it suffered a dramatic collapse.

External Links

Visit Malta - The Official Tourism Site
Rock Climbing in Malta and Gozo
The Times of Malta on the collapse of the Azure Window

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MaltaAlbums