Marmots Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
vvujisic

vvujisic - Dec 17, 2006 12:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice idea!

Beautiful photos!

hiltrud.liu

hiltrud.liu - Jan 23, 2007 4:04 pm - Voted 10/10

A wonderful album!

Very nice pictures!
Cheers, Hiltrud

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jan 25, 2007 1:48 am - Voted 10/10

Philosophical question

The idea of a marmot album is great!

But: what makes a great marmot shot? The background (as in "Marmot's View")? The overall atmosphere (as in "Marmot Sunset")?

Or the indefinable quality of marmotness (as in Anna Jingle's shot)?

How would advise a budding young photographer of marmots? What would the Ultimate Marmot Photo look like?

catullus

catullus - Jan 27, 2007 7:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Philosophical question

As you point out, there are 3 qualities that make for a good marmot shot:

1.) Captures the marmot gestalt. What does it mean to be a marmot? How do marmots think and act? What makes the marmot species unique?
2.) Captures the personality of an individual marmot.
3.) Shows the marmot's environment. The enviable quality of a marmot's existence, and why we all have an unconscious or even conscious jealously of the marmot is because it gets to spend all of it's time in the high places we love.

One thing that many people do not know about marmots is that there is actually a secret underground organization of marmots ruled by a Marmot King. The marmots live in difficult terrain because difficult terrain gives them strategic advantage in warfare. Few remember the russo-sino-marmot war of the late 1800s, but several climbers were captured by marmot forces and taken to their underground layers to be eaten by the marmot king. This war was not well covered in the media because the public was skeptical about the idea of marmots organizing together to attack humankind. Eventually the marmots were defeated by General Harold Pleasant Yarbrough of the USA. The marmots have been recouping from their losses, however, and they will soon strike again. I for one welcome our new marmot overlords. The ultimate marmot picture would be a portrait of His Holiness the Marmot King, as nothing could be more beautiful than He.

littlefrantz

littlefrantz - Feb 3, 2007 10:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Philosophical question

'Round here we got the Marmot Mafia. They must've branched off or something.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Marmots' main page