Martha Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
MattK

MattK - May 31, 2013 12:51 pm Date Climbed: Apr 6, 2013

Nice  Sucess!

Not much ice. Some nice dry tooling.

Ted Eliason

Ted Eliason - Jun 6, 2011 9:33 pm Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2011

Short and Sketchy  Sucess!

One section of very sketchy, difficult to protect verglass in the center of the slot above the lower couloir. Other than that, greate snow and fun AI/WI3 pitch at the top of the slot. Pickets, stopers, cams and one ice screw.

noahs213

noahs213 - May 24, 2010 3:10 pm Date Climbed: May 23, 2010

Great Climb  Sucess!

Pretty easy if you ask me. WI2 and the mixed climbing was not that hard at all in the conditions I was in. The ice was to soft to trust a screw but it was sinker! The last pitch was not the crux in my opinion. It was the pitch before that. I lead it and there were a couple contrictions that were a bit umm.... balancy with the pack on.

The exposure was awesome though! A great lead too.

JonW

JonW - May 20, 2010 7:46 pm Date Climbed: May 30, 2011

Great Route  Sucess!

From May 30, 2010:
Very filled in compared to last year. No mixed section and very little ice. I remembered it being much more awkward and interesting.

From May 8, 2010:
Definitely get some beta before you go. We did it with very little ice and very deep, soft snow. Still fun, but a lot more work than it needed to be.

Mike N

Mike N - May 10, 2010 9:59 am Date Climbed: May 8, 2010

Martha  Sucess!

Mostly steep snow with 2 ice cruxes that were not hard but "balancey".

astrobassman

astrobassman - Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm Date Climbed: Apr 11, 2010

Good day in RMNP  Sucess!

A long, but successful and satisfying day. The ice was mostly melted out at the cruxes, which made for a more difficult climb. Simul climbed the first two pitches, then belayed 3 more pitches, one of which was a cold hanging belay in a constriction with ice being dumped on me the whole pitch. Learned not to ever set a belay in such a spot. Probably the best way up Mt. Lady Washington.

rockrat2

rockrat2 - Feb 7, 2010 12:40 pm Date Climbed: Feb 6, 2010

awesome climb  Sucess!

Made it but a very long day, not great condition on the route but getting better. Was there a couple weeks ago and it was even worse than this trip.

WBradshaw

WBradshaw - May 31, 2009 7:38 pm Date Climbed: May 31, 2009

Climbed Martha Today  Sucess!

Martha is OUT. Both of the steps are now 80%+ wet Rock.

Pivvay

Pivvay - May 24, 2009 9:01 pm Date Climbed: May 21, 2009

Martha to summit  Sucess!

Ice rotting but still fun

cushman

cushman - Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm Date Climbed: Jun 21, 2008

Melted Out  Sucess!

Did the "thin right start" to gain the snowfield, this was dry. All ice sections are gone and water is flowing down the entire route. By-passed the crux by climbing the face and bulge to the right of the black rock at the crux. Probably wasn't easier, but at least it was dry. Got to play alpine Jenga the whole way up.

zenalpinist

zenalpinist - May 19, 2008 11:36 am Date Climbed: May 17, 2008

Re: WI Slush  Sucess!

Heh. Well, by the time you guys got on everything, it was definitely slushing up. It was much better for Andy and I at the lead; and we felt we were off by about an hour of prime time as it was (needed to be earlier). Snow in the Apron needs more consolidation; it was a hard crust on sugar. I'll put up a comparison shot of what 3 weeks and 2+ new feet of snow does for this climbs crux. Good to meet you and Tim up there, pleasant surprise.

shanahan96

shanahan96 - May 18, 2008 8:26 pm Date Climbed: May 17, 2008

maiden ice voyage  Sucess!

climbed my first technical ice couloir(led also)! lots of fun and the crux was nerve-racking and thrilling at the same time. new niche forming?

jamie

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Martha' main page