Add Heading Here
Marty’s 33rd Birthday Challenge (BC) 12-29-07
After helping me with my BC last weekend, it was my turn to help my nephew Marty with his Birthday Challenge.
Since Marty’s 33rd birthday was coming up within the next week, he decide to concocted his owe contrived birthday challenge. He decided to climb enough >5.10 J-tree routes to accumulate 33 “stars” (quality “stars” according to R. Vogel’s “Rock Climbing Joshua Tree Guidebook” 1992). His self imposed BC rules required that he had to lead routes harder than 5.10 but was allowed to toprope routes harder than 5.11. That’s the spirit Marty; you gotta embrace the contrivances of the BC to do it justice.
It was pretty cold Saturday morning; on the drive out to Echo Cove ~7:30am the windshield washer fluid froze-up on the windshield, yikes! Marty started off by warming up on RML (5.9, 2 stars) but it didn’t count towards the BC, since it was <5.10.
Marty’s 33rd Birthday Challenge “Star List”
1. CS Special, 5.10b, 3 stars
2. Out on Limb, 5.10b, 3 stars
3. Effigy Too, 5.10a/b, 3 stars
4. Wangerbanger TR, 5.11c, 4 stars
5. O’Kelly Crack TR, 5.11 (direct start w/o cheater stones), 4 stars
6. Heart of Darkness TR, 5.11a (he TR 2 laps, but only 1 counted towards the BC), 5.11a, 4 stars
7. Loose Lady, 5.10a, 4 stars
8. Stick to What, 5.10a, 3 stars
9. Forbidden Paradise, 5.10b, 3 stars
10. Hobbit Roof, 5.10d, 2 stars (finished just at sunset, whew!)
Total = 33 stars; WoHoo! Carpe birth-demi! Way to go Marty
Here are some photos of Marty’s BC
Marty's BC photos
The day before (Friday 12/28), Marty led Rubicon (5.10d) and bouldered Slashface (V3). Here are some photos (best viewed in slideshow mode)
We also watched Bob Passerini TR Equinox (5.12c). Here are some photos (best viewed in slideshow mode)
Another great weekend at J-tree with great company.
No comments posted yet.