Žmavčarji

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35340°N / 14.57180°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Unmarked mountain path
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crossing Žmavčarji is an unmarked and demanding route. It is the most direct access from the Kamniška Bistrica valley to Mali podi, Mali podi being the grounds below the SE face of Skuta and the S face of Kranjska Rinka. At the altitude of 2000m, the Bivouac pod Skuto on Mali podi may be a goal of its own, the closest summits (and walls) being those of Skuta, the Rinkas and Turska gora.

Getting There

From the Kamniška Bistrica trailhead to the lower station of the supply cableway for the Cojzova Koča hut, we follow a marked path signposted Grintovec and/or Cojzova Koča, Kokrško Sedlo (40 min walk, starting along the road to the right of the hut).

It is possible to drive to the lower station along a macadamized road (beware: there is another hut supply cableway, serving the Kamniško Sedlo hut).

Route Description

[img:666131:alignleft:small:]
From the lower cableway station, we continue straight on along the dirt road (the marked path for Grintovec splits left, uphill).
As the track splits, we stick to the one on the right. The track turns into a path and starts winding steeply in the forest. While still in the forest, a first secured passage helps us scramble. The wall we see to our right after a while, is the imposing Brana W face. As the forest gets rarer, a second secured passage along a rocky rib leads us to the right of a gully. Now arriving entirely out of the forest, we discover to our right the steep grassy and bushy slopes called Žmavčarji (there used to be a sheperd's hut there). We continue along the scarce path (to the right of the scree ending) until hitting a slab which we avoid on its left, coming very close to the Veliki greben E face. Continue up the scree (well visible path), further avoiding a short outgrown wall on its right. We discover the wild Turska gora W wall on our right. The now less evident path twists and turns along the slope between the Veliki greben E face and the Turska gora W face. Stick to the grass on the left part of the steep slope until being level with the top of Veliki greben. Now head right through the rock barrier (don't try the ledges), and very soon discover the bivouac.

Above the bivouac, a serie of cairns directs us northwards till reaching the Crossing Sleme marked route. The closest mountain hut we can descend to is the Okrešelj hut (Frischaufov dom), through the Turski žleb couloir, though this puts us on the N side of the range.

Essential Gear

Helmet
Grintovci 1:25000 map

Camping

Kamnik