May 24-26: Jones Hole to Island Park (Utah)

May 24-26: Jones Hole to Island Park (Utah)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

May 24-26: Jones Hole to Island Park (Utah)

After meeting my brother Richard and my father, Kimberly, Shaylee, Kessler and I shuttled our cars for our big trip in Dinosaur National Monument from Jones Hole to Island Park. On day 1 and after late start we hiked down to the junction of Ely Creek and Jones Hole where we dropped the packs to hike down to the Green River and back. It was a scenic hike with pictographs, high walls and a clear running stream.

On day 2, Kessler, Richard, my dad and I tried exploring the Labyrinths (tributaries of Ely Creek) from the bottom, but our ledge got eventually pinched out to where the exposure was too great and the canyon bottom was too much a bushwhack to make it to the head of the canyons. We then joined back up with Kim and Shaylee and hiked up to the rim of Big Draw. From there Kessler, Richard, dad and I explored the rim of Big Draw for some fine views and climbed a small peak near the rim for some more fine views before heading back to Shaylee and Kim. We then hiked over to Sage Creek where there was supposed to be some running water and a spring, but unfortunately it was bone dry and we couldn’t camp so we hiked all the way over to Island Park climbing “Red Wash Peak” on the way back. It was a long day since we expected to camp along the way and Shaylee (whom just turned four) completed eight (?) miles while the rest of us did more. On day 3 we had planned to head up on the Harpers Corner road for more hikes, but the night of day 2, I had very severe allergies while camping in Jensen, so we had to pack up in the middle of the night and head home, arriving just before 4am.

This time I didn't take as many photos as Jones Hole proper, but see the album below for more:

Jones Hole


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.