Me on the summit of Sahale...

Me on the summit of Sahale...

Me on the summit of Sahale with Boston Peak beyond. I had soloed Boston earlier that day before rejoining the rest of the party on Sahale (actually, only David Jung waited for me). Note the horns above my head, horns provided by the North and South peaks of Hozomeen Mountain near the Canadian border. Jack Mountain is also visible at center. July 29, 2000.
Klenke
on Feb 16, 2004 1:29 am
Image ID: 41997

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 28, 2006 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

just came across this

Nice that David waited for you that day. I'm headed to Sahale tomorrow.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 28, 2006 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Easy day climb

Assuming you're going to use the Sahale Arm approach or deproach, it is possible to cut off distance on the climb by leaving the trail at the last switchback or thereabouts and going directly upslope right of the brushy avy area to a basin west of Sahale Arm. Keep going up to a fairly obvious saddle in the arm. This can be used on the way down too. It will save at least 90 minutes each way. This will also help you to avoid the hell of some of that way too flat trail.

The summit area involves some exposed ground (Class 4) but it isn't really that bad.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Easy day climb

Thanks for the info. We ended up not being able to get a permit so attempted Eldorado. Snowstorm blew in overnight and we bailed. Lots of fun downclimbing wet granite boulders. :-P But beautiful area. Hope to go back soon.

Will file your info on Sahale away for when I attempt that one. Will definitely take your advice.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 31, 2006 6:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Easy day climb

Too bad about the weather. Got snowed on myself on McGregor north of Stehekin yesterday but we made the summit (via north side Sandalee Glacier route).

Your Sahale short cut is right of Soldier Boy Creek through here.

hkutuk

hkutuk - Jul 31, 2006 9:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Why?

As much as I agree with the annoying switchbacks to Cascade pass, why would you want to bushwhack in a shortcut instead of a trail where you can enjoy the views? It is not a long hike anyway...

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 31, 2006 10:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Why not

For the record the short cut is not a bushwhack at all unless you stray too close to the creek where there is avy alder and small pines. It's sort of grassy meadow then it gets steep near the saddle. Let it be known that I'm not advocating everyone do this lest a rudimentary trail become worn into the ground. But it *is* a viable short cut that saves time--especially should you be pushed for time. I will admit I've never gone up that way, only down it (and only once).

Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Jul 31, 2006 10:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Why not

How long did it take you to do Sahale Paul? 5 hours car to car? We did it in 7 hours 45 minutes on Saturday, but spent an extra 1/2 hour doing a different route on the summit. With that shortcut and the standard finish maybe I could do it in 6.5.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 31, 2006 11:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Why not

How long it might have taken me is not the point. The point is it's a good short cut if you want to save time. If you don't want to save time or don't care, don't take the short cut.

But if you must know some facts:
I did Boston and Sahale together going up Quien Sabe and down (all the way down) Sahale Arm.
I did Horseshoe (and Buckner) via Lower Horseshoe Basin. We came back via Sahale Arm and took the short cut.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8