Mekong River

Mekong River

The Mekong River near Nong Khai, Thailand. The country of Laos is on the other side
mountaingazelle
on Dec 26, 2006 5:54 am
Image ID: 254494

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 1, 2008 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

I've heard

of the Mekong River and the Mekong Delta, and I miss that part of the world. The people there... they always have SMILES on their faces. It looks like a really muddy river!
Kind of like the Rio Grande, I guess. That watercraft! It is tempting me to JUMP onto it, and take it out on the river!!! Thanks for posting, Melinda!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 1, 2008 10:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I've heard

Thank you, Larry. The Mekong is a very important river in Southeast Asia. It flows south from the Tibetan Plateau, through China's Yunnan province, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and finally to the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. The color of the water comes from silt and mud but it's good for agriculture.

I took this photo near the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai, Thailand. The river forms the border between Thailand and Laos. It was the first bridge to be built across the lower Mekong River. The bridge wasn’t completed until 1994 due to turbulent history in the past.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 1, 2008 11:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks !

That is very interesting, the LAND of SMILES!
And sticky rice & fish happen to be my lovely
wife's favorite food! I know, there's a lot
of turbulent history there, just like in the
Philippines during World War II. The Mekong River is truly a LIFE-GIVING river. Thank you for sharing this with us, Melinda!!!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3