Mer de Glace Images, France.

Mer de Glace Images, France.

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery

La Mer de Glace. Images April 2008.

APR. 03. 2008. The Mer de Glace (Sea of Ice) is a glacier located on the northern slopes of the Mont Blanc massif, in the Alps. At 7 kilometres long and 200 metres deep, it is the longest glacier in France.
Montenvers Station 1,913 m.Montenvers train station (1,913 m/6,276 ft)
Train arriving at Montenvers station.Train arriving to Montenvers

After spending a night in Chamonix, my friend Heloise (FRA) and I took the earliest train up to the Montenvers station. It was a smooth 30-minute-ride through a thick pine forest which was completely covered by the fresh snow that felt the night before.
La Mer de Glace.What a beautiful place!
Glacier school.Ice climbing.














Once we got to Montenvers, we waited for the lifts to open. The morning was pretty cloudy, but I imagined in my mind the surroundings in a clear day by looking at a picture posted in the balcony of the station. I could see in the picture les Drus ( 3754 m), les Grandes Jorasses ( 4205 m). Mountains I read about in books... I thought..it must be an amazing scenery!

Nine o'clock, and we got a ride in the lifts down to the glacier. We hiked the glacier for a couple hours or more. I didn't see any minor creavasses, just those located aside... huge crevasses perfect for ice climbing practices. I saw a bunch of climbers playing in it, going up and down.

Les Grandes Jorasses.Les Grandes Jorasses















We got back to Chamonix by late afternoon. Took the train to the station where our car (camping site) was at.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.