Merapi Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Exploration Junkie

Exploration Junkie - Jan 27, 2018 6:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2011

Fabulous climb, just on time for sunrise  Sucess!

Climbed it not long after 2010's eruption, still quite a lot of ashes on the ground. Fantastic hike with very impressive crater, arrived at the top just on time for the sunrise.

mtndave

mtndave - May 3, 2017 9:14 am Date Climbed: Sep 9, 2016

Smoldering!  Sucess!

One of the best scrambles ever! The sunrise was very spectacular.

teddycricket83

teddycricket83 - Aug 9, 2015 3:50 am Date Climbed: Sep 14, 2009

What a view!  Sucess!

Went up with 2 hilarious czech guys. The sulfur fumeroles made for an interesting atmosphere

MissH

MissH - Mar 23, 2014 9:10 pm Date Climbed: Mar 14, 2014

Steamy!  Sucess!

Used a guide service from Yogyakarta for this sunrise summit. With a few breaks, it took us about 3.5 hours to go up. The guide pretended he wasn't supposed to take us up past the plateau and wanted extra commission for the summit - don't fall for that! Fortunately, the views, clear skies, and hard work outweigh the negativity the guide provided. The sunrise and steamy crater (with leaky and stinky steam outlets on the way!) were hard-earned and delightful treats after the steep ascent.(We still tipped because he did do a good job despite his attempted deception.)

ericd

ericd - Mar 19, 2014 8:17 pm Date Climbed: Mar 14, 2014

hey this things kinda active!  Sucess!

What a wonderful volcano hike in the middle of the night to arrive on top for the sunrise (at 5:20). Started this 9km roundtrip trek at midnight with about 4,500feet elevation gain. Trail has a significant rise over run but it's Java!

sang begunDAlz

sang begunDAlz - Oct 18, 2006 7:43 am Date Climbed: Jan 9, 2006

From Selo, Boyolali  Sucess!

Me and My ex.soulmate climb it on january, along the night,we're lucky that we climb in that month, 'cause after that Merapi was Erupted in March untill August 2006.

zaleha

zaleha - Jul 1, 2003 8:12 pm

Route Climbed: started basecamp Boyoali Date Climbed: 12June 2003  Sucess!

My team consist of 4 person Zaleha,Joe Blonde,Hantu and Kabul started the journey at 12.00 midnight on 12 june 2003 and the weather is cold at night with the sky is cleared with moonlight. shone on our way trek to the peak of Mount Merapi.The villages at Boyoali light also shoned all through the night.We could see the shadow of Mount Merbabu the neighbour mountain of Mount Merapi stood though nearby too.We stayed a while to take short rest at a cave to take a short nap but alas when we woke up the weather outside is very foggy and misty.We continue to trek to the summit although the weather is misty and foggy hoping it will change by the time we reach the summit.On 13 June 2003 at 9.00am we reach the summit and we take some pictures although the peak is surrounded with clouds.I was told by my Indonesian friends that the Garuda Peak or known as Puncak Garuda is the highest summit of Mount Merapi.

Nelson

Nelson - Jun 4, 2003 11:59 am

Route Climbed: From the north Date Climbed: September, 1985

My wife and I hiked up this in 1985 when the mountain was several hundred feet higher. It has since blown its top in dramatic fashion.

Sunrise looking east to Bromo was spectacular, as was gazing down into the steaming crater. Very memorable.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Merapi' main page