Middle Fork Falls

Middle Fork Falls

2.9 miles up Knopki Creek Road an unmarked Trail goes down to Middle Fork Falls. The falls plunge 35 feet off a serpentinite cliff into an extremely deep pool on the Middle Fork of the Smith River. The view is well worth while if you're already here. The trail head can be very difficult to find. It comes just a few hundred yards after the third bridge, at the end of a large road embankment on the right (south). The hike is short and steep, the final hundred feet or so is a steep scramble on slick moss-covered rock complete with fixed ropes. The entire detour only takes a matter of minutes if already traveling on Knopki Creek Road and only slightly longer adding in driving time from Highway 199. Directions to Knopki Creek Road are located here.
OOG
on Jul 22, 2011 9:58 pm
Image ID: 731085

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
FarNorCal

FarNorCal - Apr 7, 2013 11:33 am - Voted 10/10

Quick Leg-stretcher.

Nice hike! Hardest part (fairly warned) was finding the trailhead. Great leg-stretcher along the way from I-5 (Nor Cal or So Ore) to the coast.

OOG

OOG - Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Quick Leg-stretcher.

Glad you had a nice hike. It's good knowing when people actually use information I submit. Did you get any pictures of the falls. I'll bet they have a lot more water now than when I took this picture.

FarNorCal

FarNorCal - Apr 26, 2013 3:06 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Quick Leg-stretcher.

No pictures. Pretty good rain falling during the hike which made the rope traverse all that more exciting. Huge volume of water from winter run-off.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3