Mile 25.7 - Bleached Bones Overview

Mile 25.7 - Bleached Bones Overview

Added this in response to a question about the close up view.
Nelson
on May 26, 2010 11:12 am
Image ID: 624313

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - May 27, 2010 1:41 am - Voted 10/10

Thank you ...

Okay, you discovered it sitting in a wash with
an open area to the north?

I'm thinking California Condors right now.

They inhabit the cliffs off to the west.

Who knows what other carnivores are searching
for a full-course meal? Looks spooky !!!

Did you spend the night in the area ???

Nelson

Nelson - May 27, 2010 8:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you ...

If it was California Condors that picked this guy over, then we missed them. Too bad, I'd love to see one!

We passed this spot right in the middle of the day. Our camps were about 5 miles on either side of it.

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 27, 2010 12:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thank you ...

Right on. Sounds pretty cool!

Can a person gain access to the top of the
cliffs (Paria Plateau) by scrambling up one of those "side canyons" off to the west, or did it look pretty brushed in and hairy up those canyons???

How much water did you guys come across?

Nelson

Nelson - May 28, 2010 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you ...

Guess I can't really answer your first question. I suppose one could find a non-technical route up a side canyon, especially in the last 8-10 miles above Lee's Ferry. I looked at some of my photos from down there and think that would be doable.

As for water we were supposed to pass about six or seven permanent springs along the way, if memory serves me well. I know for sure we found and used three of them. One other we found but it was coming out right at the river's level, so wasn't really usable. Another was either nearly dried out or we didn't find the right one. We completely missed one or two of them. The last day we just pumped water out of the Paria, which wasn't that bad at all.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4