Mill Creek Jumpoff

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.11408°N / 116.78741°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Loose Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Galena Peak is the eastermost peak on the Yuciapa Ridge, just south of San Gorgonio. This route is a scramble up very loose rock and talus. Be aware that the jumpoff is constantly dropping rock, and is very dangerous. In the winter time this can be even more scary when Ice and snow are involved. This canyon holds a large amount of ice and snow. There are several couloirs that fill with ice and can be ice climbed under the right conditions. The jumpoff itself also holds ice in winter, but is very unstable. I would like to recommend climbing the jumpoff in dry conditions.

Getting There

Southern California US Interstate 10- In southern California, get to the city of Redlands. Exit Orange Ave and head north. Go up to Lugonia Ave and turn right, which turns into Hwy 38. Continue up Hwy 38 through the town of Mentone, up the highway further is a fork in the road that you will want to stay to the right on Valley of the falls road. Continue up this road through the town of Forest Falls and once you go through town, the road will spit you out at the Vivian creek trailhead. Park anywhere and remember to have your forest adventure pass. $5 a day or $30 a year.

Route Description

Take the trail up the side of mill creek. Go up about .4 miles until you reach the sign that sends you across the creek up the vivian creek trail.You will want to just continue up the riverbed. There are many little use trails that go up the creek. Continue up the rocky riverbed up a estimated 2.5 miles up until you reach the headwall of the mill creek jumpoff. Here you must choose the ascent line up the jumpoff. There is a small rib in the middle of the headwall which has some vegetation. You may ascend the left side of this rib as I did and go up the jumpoff. The alternative ascent route is to the far left side of the jumpoff, as it is much less steep. Essentially, you must choose a route up that you feel confident to downclimb. Use caution on any line up or down.

Essential Gear

The ten essentials, and a helmet. Loose rock falls in this area all the time. If one wanted to bring rope for protection or rapping off, It can be used, but finding good placement is another story.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.